You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import image portion

A suggestion.

If I want to import an image and then use only a portion of it, I need to create an empty box and then insert the image in the box.
Wouldn't it be faster to import the image that automatically creates a box that contains it?
So I would do everything in one pass rather than two, speeding up my work a lot.

Place image directly and use the crop tool if you like. Or did you mean something different?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Yes, you can. Kind of two tools in one. When tool changes to the cross icon you move the "box" around the image and with the crop icon you can move the image inside the "box".

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I may not be following the suggestion all the way. InDesign seems to do something you suggest, where it puts placed images inside a container box, and I really do not like it, because I am often seem to select the wrong object (either the image or the container).

Edit: as Joachim was posting at the same time I was, thank you for that video. It looks like the image crop tool works perfectly as is for such cases.

A quick'n'dirty way (faster but later less flexible) would be to crop and copy the image portion external in an image application and paste that pasteboard content into Publisher, as embedded only. The detailed workflow depends on your computer operating system. In macOS you can copy a partial image selection for instance in Apples "Preview" app to paste it in Publisher without creating an image frame before.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The last solution is absolutely not good for my workflow. I must always be able to provide links to the printer (to allow him to make color changes to the images, with the possibility of using them in different catalogs).

43 minutes ago, bebez71 said:

I must always be able to provide links to the printer (to allow him to make color changes to the images, with the possibility of using them in different catalogs).

Interesting, what you are allowing the print company! l‘d instantly change my printing service, if it „makes color changes“ or uses my images „in different catalogs“. :)

:D you make me laugh!

I work 99% with ceramic tiles industry, chromatic correction of the tiles are really important and I don't do it (the printer do it). Unfortunately clients makes colors correction also during the printing of the catalogs and they must be able to use the same chromatic images also in other instruments (catalogs, panels, displays...).