You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I made some vector brushes that look like stitching. I want to have it go around a letter like it was sewn like that. Is there any way to do this? I don't want to have to move every little piece with the nodes. I watched a video where the girl selected something in photoshop that had it automatically go around the letter. I was hoping AD had something like that. (I never used photoshop so not exactly sure what you selected). Thank you:)

Windows 10 desktop ram 8g 

Thank you so much. I did not know I could do that LOL. But what the girl did she made the stitching inside more so it was on top of letter like someone sewed it by hand. See photo the stitching is on top, not the side. Also when I use the stroke the corners are goofy. Someone on creative market had said that the girl's brushes were bad cause the corners are messed up. That is how mine is, she said that they usually do something special for the corners. Do you know what that would be? Thank you for taking the time to help me:)

Screenshot 2019-02-27 18.31.51.png

Yup you are right I made about 5 brushes and they are no good cause I can not get them to work very well. On the video I saw on Creative Market the girl could just draw the line with no problem but it was a different program and they have different things they could do. I am so disappointed it cause I really wanted to be able to use these but probably delete all my hard work:(( Thank you so much for the help. 

She was probably using Photoshop or illustrator, just use the pen tool to draw irregular lines on the inside of the text boundary and apply the brush to it

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

https://creativemarket.com/GraphicSpirit/2029458-STITCH-Effect-Photoshop-Tooklit

Watch this video how she makes the fabric just come up when she erased the background. I am so trying everything I can think of and trust me that is not much lol. Thank you for help.

The process for this requires multiple stages, most of which happens with content creation first, what I mean by that is, the collection of textures which can be used in the creation of styles, the creation of brushes to create the stitched/sewn look and the creation of a macro to auto some of the process.

Photoshop to Affinity translation:

• Action = Macro (Affinity is limited in this respect, in both availability of the apps functions and the limited scope the macro can perform)
  • ABR = afbrushes (Compared to photoshops brush settings Affinity is lacking in flexibility and features)
  • Styles = Styles (Affinity is catching up but still not up to photoshops capabilities yet)

You can create brushes by using scanned or photographed stitching that you then turn into a brush an example of this would be...
Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-11-15-25.png

Erasing the denim so that either one stitch remains or a few remain and then making it into a brush gives you are realistic stitch effect. When you create an image brush its a good idea to have several images of various stitches that you can add to the texture tab as Texture Nozzles, this helps to give a more random feel to the stitch.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-11-45-15.png

Stitching example brush.afbrushes

and then applied over texture like denim, I also added a small emboss fx on the stitch to make it look embedded.
Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-11-48-12.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OMG, you are the best. I did try to give you a trophy but for some reason, I am not allowed LOL. I have made the brushes (vector) so I guess I have to do pixel? If I do pixel more like a stamp, so then I have to line stuff up. I know what she is lazy lol. But I am learning and some things still hard. Although this is the best program:) I tried gimp and inkscape and I could not get them to work to save my life. I watch a couple of youtube videos and was up and running with this program. I see people doing stuff on Photoshop and AI and think wow is that easy, but I feel that money for a few things is not worth it, AD will get to that point one day and I can wait. THANK YOU THANK YOU for being so kind and doing all this for me. I love what it looks like on the denim. It is crazy don't even know what I am going to do with these brushes but I like the look of handmade items so I thought easy right LOL. I been doing this for 2 days and driving all you crazy. Check my picture the stitching gets too small when I turn it down and weird when you use vector it does not show you where the line will start so I use the pen tool. Then adjust but so many steps. Again Thank you for your help. and love how yours came out and that is pixel so I will try that now. PS. this is only a test not really making stupid stuff just want to see how it looked:) Diane

Screenshot 2019-02-28 09.27.27.png

20 minutes ago, funnyg480 said:

I been doing this for 2 days and driving all you crazy.

Not to worry. We are all pretty crazy to begin with. xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

BTW, you can also import Photoshop .abr brushes and adjust those, as far as you have those from that PS sewing kit sample.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2