You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do these symbols do?

If you hover your mouse over them you should get the basic explanations, "Synchronize defaults from selection" and "Revert Defaults". They are shortcuts to the menu Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection and Edit > Defaults > Revert.

The Help says:

Defaults:

• Synchronize defaults from selection—the default settings are updated to those of the currently selected object.
  • Revert defaults—synchronized defaults are reverted to saved defaults. If an object is currently selected, its attributes revert to the default settings.

So, basically, the first one lets you change the default settings to match those of a selected object (things like stroke, fill, color, font size, ...).

The second one lets you revert all the synchronized defaults to the saved default settings (from Edit > Defaults > Save) if no object is selected, or lets you revert just the attributes of a selected object.

I'm still in the experimenting stage with the defaults myself, so I can't really say more at this time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The curse of nomenclature. For "Defaults" I read "Preferences".

Say you usually want filled rectangles to be red with no stroke so you can see them clearly. You may change the colour and or shape, etc. later. 

• Draw a red rectangle with no stroke.
  • Select it.
  • Edit > Defaults > Save will save that "default" globally for all future rectangles in the current publication and in all future publications (not just the one you are working in). You don't mind this because most of the time you want your starting rectangles to be red.  That's just the way you are. :214_lion_face:

But, if you want your rectangles to be another colour in this pub, you can change the default for this publication only by changing the colour of one rectangle, selecting it and clicking the LH Lotus, i.e. "Synchronise defaults to current selection". Subsequent rectangles in this publication only will be the new colour.  

To revert back to your global default (preference) for rectangles, click the RH Lotus, i.e. "Revert synchronised defaults back to saved defaults".

Each new publication will always open with your saved default, in this case, red. It is a GLOBAL or persistent default unless you change it and save it, or revert back to factory settings under Edit > Defaults.

Excellent description.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1