Hexaman

Tracing image to vectors option please

When tracing bitmaps to vectors option is added to designer?

Just found this useful for doing laser cutting, logo design, exporting vectors into 3D-softwares for extrusions. 

On 2/12/2019 at 3:37 AM, Hexaman said:

When tracing bitmaps to vectors option is added to designer?

Just found this useful for doing laser cutting, logo design, exporting vectors into 3D-softwares for extrusions. 

Until (or if) a bitmap tracing function is added to A-Designer, I use Inkscape's "Trace bitmap" function. It works reasonably well for my needs. This how I use that function...

1. Import bitmap into Inkscape. The higher the bitmap's resolution, the better.

2. Select the bitmap then run "Trace bitmap." The function's basic settings work fine in general for my needs.

3. Save the trace in Inkscape's native vectore file format, SVG.

4. Open/import the SVG in A-Designer.

Inkscape website: https://inkscape.org/

(Current stable version: 0.92.4)

In addition to using Inkscape vector files in A-Designer, I use them in laser engraving, CNC wood engraving, and CNC milling of aluminum and steel parts.

If someone reading this doesn't want to try using Inkscape - it's a very capable vector application but the learning curve is quite steep - they could try an online vectorizer, such as: https://www.vectorizer.io/
I've not used this particular site myself so I don't know how well it works, and you should always be careful about what you send to free online processing sites (carefully read all of the terms and conditions, especially about what they do with your uploaded file, there could be copyright issues you might want to avoid), but it might be useful.