You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What cameras are supported for Raw?

This is my first time on any forum.  I have a Mac and a nikon D850.  Does Affinity support this in Raw and if so does this work well?  Is there a listing of supported cameras?  What is the best tool to manage workflow?  Thank you very much.

Ps.  For future reference, what is the best way to search the site so I don’t ask redundant questions?

B

• Staff

Hi B444,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo 1.6x doesn't officially support the Nikon 850 when using our RAW engine (Serif Labs) but you can switch to Apple (Core Image RAW) which does support it if you are running macOS High Sierra or above. Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta does support it using both Serif Labs and Apple (Core Image RAW) engines.

Here's the link to the official lists:

In case you are interested you can download Affinity Photo Beta from there links:

Note: to switch between RAW engines, open a RAW image, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and use the first dropdown to change them. You will need to reload the RAW file again to use the newly selected engine.

MEB,

Thank you.  If I purchase current version will it update to 1.7 when released?  Lightroom perpetual 6.0 doesn’t support so trying to determine best alternative.  Affinity doesn’t have Lightroom workflow does it?  If I purchase can I use LR for Cate loving and AF for editing or is there a better way?  Thank you again.

b

• Staff

Hi B444
Yes, all minor updates are free until version 2.0 which is a paid upgrade (we are still far away from reaching v2 though). Regarding your second question: no, Affinity is strictly a RAW developer/converter and photo editor. It doesn't possess any DAM (digital assets management) capabilities as Lightroom so no, you will not be able to manage libraries, apply adjustments to several photos from the same photoshoot at once or even save them as independent .xmp sidecar files (just to mention a few cases) with it. You can however set up Lightroom to use Affinity Photo as an external editor/app.

1 hour ago, B444 said:

Ps.  For future reference, what is the best way to search the site so I don’t ask redundant questions?

Use the search box at the top right of the forum screen. In your case I would enter "Raw Camera Support" then click on the magnifying glass. By default, the search engine looks for any of the words entered. In the search results, you are asked if you wanted the exact phrase or all the words. In this case try the exact phrase first, then all the words.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Or try Google search: "Raw Camera Support site:forum.affinity.serif.com".

Search relevance is significantly higher. For example, link to official list of cameras is at the forefront.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am using affinity photo 1.8.3 on iPad 10.5 and I bought a new Olympus EM1 MARK III. When I try to add a raw image, ı got an error. (the file type is not supported) how can I fix this problem and I can edit my raw images. Other models don't have this problem. Old cam was E-m10 Mark 3

On 6/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, m.n said:

Hi, I am using affinity photo 1.8.3 on iPad 10.5 and I bought a new Olympus EM1 MARK III. When I try to add a raw image, ı got an error. (the file type is not supported) how can I fix this problem and I can edit my raw images. Other models don't have this problem. Old cam was E-m10 Mark 3

On the iPad Affinity depends on Apple's RAW development support within the OS, so if Apple doesn't support the camera then Affinity won't, either.

This FAQ article provides more information:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1