Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

This is my first post however I have been reading all the questions and getting great info on this forum. The one thing I am having trouble finding is more vector brushes specifically a few dry brush strokes. I’ve watched a couple tutorial on how to make brushes but am having trouble making a good dry brush stroke. 

My question is does anyone know where I can find some or does anyone have a couple to share. 

 

Thanks for any help or direction you can give. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there is some confusion as to what the Affinity Designer vector brushes are.

They are vector brushes if the shape is simple and you can create a vector brush called a solid brush, these are very basic and is effectively a stroke and that stroke can be expanded to create a curve shape, anything else is a rasterised image on a vector curve, so you can adjust the curve but not the brush shape itself.

You cannot create a true vector brush with a pattern or texture, in order to create a brush you have to export whatever shape you drew to a raster format such as a PNG file, you cannot create a brush from an SVG vector file.

iMac 27" Late 2019 Fully Loaded and running Monterey 12.6.1, iMac 27" Late 2013 running Catalina 10.15.7 - Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did know that, maybe I worded this incorrectly. I am looking for more brushes to use in the vector persona as they are limited and even the ones in the pixel persona are limited as well. I can export those all day as PNG files but I’m still looking for one that resembles a dry brush look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you looked through the Resources forum? Various users have made their brushes available there, and perhaps some will provide what you're looking for.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.0.0 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.0 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.0
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.1.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

      Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and 2.0.2 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 and 2.0.2 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:40 PM, firstdefence said:

I think there is some confusion as to what the Affinity Designer vector brushes are.

They are vector brushes if the shape is simple and you can create a vector brush called a solid brush, these are very basic and is effectively a stroke and that stroke can be expanded to create a curve shape, anything else is a rasterised image on a vector curve, so you can adjust the curve but not the brush shape itself.

You cannot create a true vector brush with a pattern or texture, in order to create a brush you have to export whatever shape you drew to a raster format such as a PNG file, you cannot create a brush from an SVG vector file.

I wish this was a future feature. SVG to Vector brush that is expandable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AlexPolicastro said:

I wish this was a future feature. SVG to Vector brush that is expandable.

I agree but you should also be able to create a brush from within Affinity using a selection, such as "Create vector brush from selection" it's very tedious to have to keep exporting png files only to bring them back in, it seems a wholly unnecessary workflow.

You really can't call a brush a vector brush, unless all of it's attributes are vector, so the brush pattern is vector and it is applied to a curve/path, at best it should be called a vector-raster hybrid brush.

iMac 27" Late 2019 Fully Loaded and running Monterey 12.6.1, iMac 27" Late 2013 running Catalina 10.15.7 - Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You really can't call a brush a vector brush, unless all of it's attributes are vector, so the brush pattern is vector and it is applied to a curve/path, at best it should be called a vector-raster hybrid brush.

Maybe just call it a "path brush" or something like that?

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.