You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on gradient layer and resize

1. load an image
  2. new layer
  3. gradient tool, draw a gradient
  4. move tool, select gradient layer and resize to smaller than main image
  5. draw another gradient on resized layer -- outline of layer in blue seems to be same size as original image, though reduced image layer appears ok.
  6. Repeat 4 and 5

Once this resulted in a whole system (win10) crash. Another time AP just bugged out and vanished.

Some kind of memory leak or recursive spiral? Couple of processes fighting one another?

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Tried it, but AP wouldn't crash. It is strange that the resized layer suddenly grows as large and even larger than the original image.

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Same for me Ron P. It wouldn't crash but I can't understand why it is growing... I'll see if I can get the crash on another machine but will probably get dev to investigate the size change. Thanks for the post dmstraker :) 

Update - I just had to do a hard reboot on my Windows machine. I just repeated step 4 and 5 one more time and my entire machine just locked up. I tried it on macOS and it locked up there but I was able to quit the app eventually.

I think it's just increasing the pixel dimensions to something enormous. This issue is easier to reproduce on an already big image. I tried again on a 15,000 px x 15,000 px image and it only took one go to lock the app up. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.