You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corel Particleshop plugin on Windows: works

I've been using Corel's Particleshop brushes plugin (https://www.painterartist.com/en/product/particleshop/).  This is powered by the software in their standalone Painter app, and is an officially supported plugin within Photoshop and Paintshop Pro for dynamic painting effects (see their site for a description, this is a bit different from a static brush).  This works great within my copy of Paintshop Pro 2019 Ultimate, plus Corel offers many interesting add-on brush sets for sale.  So I was curious to find out if the Particleshop plugin (v 1.5) works in Affinity Photo v1.6 on Windows 10 x64. 

Verdict:  Success.  After you install the plugin, in the Affinity Photoshop plugins settings, you can point to the install directory.  Then Affinity recognizes it in the Filters | Plugins submenu and will successfully launch photos into the plugin, let you use all the artistic brushes, and round-trip the result to AP without weird behavior, crashing, or side effects that I've yet noticed.  Items worth noting:  the plugin lets you save the brush strokes only AS brush strokes if working with layers, or you can save it merged with the original photo.  Also note:  the plugin requires you to convert any image you are working on to 8-bit color depth before adding brush strokes.  So this is a limitation, though not a show-stopper for me. I tried a workaround which seemed to work.  Open the 16-bit photo (mine was PNG), convert to 8-bit, launch the plugin and add brush strokes, then save as "brush strokes only."  Then you can use various approaches to combine the new 8-bit brush stroke layer back with the original 16-bit image.  

• 1 year later...

Affinity Photo 1.8.6 on High Sierra 10.13.6
Even though the ParticleShop folder that contains the particleshop.plugin file is targeted in Affinity Photo, ParticleShop shows as Painter > Particleshop in the filters list but launching crashes Affinity Photo 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions