You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table Frame Stroke Settings Apply to Text Frame, Too

While experimenting, I created a new document, then looked at the Text Frame panel, which showed, as I expected, no stroke by default:

textframe1.png.eedb1665b1d900f4f115afcd68efa8e5.png

I then created a Table and assigned a rose-colored gradient to the stroke of the table frame via the Table Panel:

tableframe.png.4a7b6db05b9dde84e0e42c5ae68fcc99.png

I then looked at the Text Frame panel again, and found that my stroke assignment for the table carried over to the settings for Text Frames:

textframe2.png.52535e74d07088a887d19973b525e149.png

As those are two different tools, I don't think that should have happened.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It will work the other way around as well.  i.e. if you change the text frame settings the table settings will reflect that change.

I've mentioned before that Tables act like Text Frames at times and I'm thinking that Tables may have been designed around Text Frames rather than completely new Table code added to Publisher.

It's also mentionable that the Thumbnail for a Table is the same Thumbnail as a Text Frame in the layers panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I also think it's intentional. The layer control panel is a clear hint. In InDesign, for example, tables are also based on the Text tool.
In front of the text frame are the outer boundaries of the outer table cells, which can have a different color than the overall frame. This also indicates that the base frame is a text frame.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.