You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poster made in Affinity Publisher

HenrikM

This is a poster made in the Affinity Publisher beta.

I used three 120 degree circle segments as containers for three different pictures by photographers Petra Brewitz, Julia Reinhart, and myself.

The bottom right picture is a composite made in Affinity Photo, and converted to a digital painting in Dynamic Auto-Painter. The other two pictures were processed in Photoshop.

There are still some important features missing in the Publisher Beta, but I really like the stuff that is there. I believe this will be a great layout program.

BTW, the poster is in Swedish, it is about a photo exhibition in the city of Borgholm on the island Öland, during a harvest festival.

Öland 2018 Poster v02 Tre Konstnärer.jpg

I think both the white, and especially the smaller black text disappear and is “difficult” to read.. even as a Norwegian with a summerhouse in Sweden :-) 

Also the placement of the text and the choice of font is not too good, in my opinion. 

It would need some work I think, unless I would probably just walk by the poster without notice.. 

It need a little attention:-) 

3 hours ago, 276ccm said:

I think both the white, and especially the smaller black text disappear and is “difficult” to read.. even as a Norwegian with a summerhouse in Sweden :-) 

Also the placement of the text and the choice of font is not too good, in my opinion. 

It would need some work I think, unless I would probably just walk by the poster without notice.. 

It need a little attention:-) 

Good point about the font. I tested with a heavier one, and it does increase legibility.

The white text is not ideal, but it'll have to do.

Öland 2018 Poster v03 Tre Konstnärer.jpg

Öland 2018 Poster v03 Tre Konstnärer.pdf

Yes last one from @Wosven looks better and less “heavy” on the left side.. and a lot more easy to read. Personally I’d choose a little more “stylish” and interesting font/typography but it’s more eye catching than before :-) 

Im not sure, but I think maybe I would (at least try to) switch the side of the two bottom pictures to weight it even more too, but do t know before tested :-) 

Maybe try to play a little with different colors of the text too, to try to make it a little less hard. 

I’m not an expert, but.. 

hope you take it only as constructive criticism :-) 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:17 AM, Wosven said:

Nice idea. I'd rather go for centered text. (And thanks for inspiring me with those pics).

Oland2.thumb.png.49250a9d2a0f087bd283ba97a8caecd0.png

Oland.afpub

It is a better design than my original. I was too stuck on having the pictures cover the entire poster. Centering the subtitle is also an improvement.

Thanks!

BTW, here is a link to a blog post with the full bottom right picture, and a bit of context: http://kallokainphoto.blogspot.com/2018/07/oland-nudes-i-at-beach.html

I think the rock and tree image is at odds with the other two images, your eye is immediately drawn to it, making it more painterly or muting it a bit would balance out the poster as a whole so you browse the poster instead of looking straight at the rock image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think the rock and tree image is at odds with the other two images, your eye is immediately drawn to it, making it more painterly or muting it a bit would balance out the poster as a whole so you browse the poster instead of looking straight at the rock image.

Agree that picture takes a little too much attention, but at the same time, is this is the art from this artist, it can’t be more painterly or muted, as it is the artists art.. but maybe this artist has another picture to use :-) 

On 9/22/2018 at 12:36 PM, firstdefence said:

We are three different artists with three very different personal styles. The reason that we have an exhibition together is simply that we are very good friends, and we like to work together.

For this exhibition, we stick to our own styles, and that is why the pictures on the poster are different. The exhibition is more for fun than anything else. We have done other work, a graphic novel, where we designed a common style, and stuck to it.

Yes, it's strong, but without it I'm not sure we would really look at all the pictures.
For now, the eye take this path:

1. Ö & land, tre…
  2. Tree and rock
  3. Red dog and girl
  4. Ö… > Date lines,  Ö & land, tre ö-kända konstnärer
  5. Top background pic
  6. Bottom and names

A circular path… Do you read it differently?

8 hours ago, Wosven said:

Yes, it's strong, but without it I'm not sure we would really look at all the pictures.
For now, the eye take this path:

1. Ö & land, tre…
  2. Tree and rock
  3. Red dog and girl
  4. Ö… > Date lines,  Ö & land, tre ö-kända konstnärer
  5. Top background pic
  6. Bottom and names

A circular path… Do you read it differently?

I did make a new version where all the text is centered, black, and immediately under the title. That works a bit better.

I can't upload the file to the forum. Might be a bit too large. I'm off to work in a few minutes, but I can upload a lower resolution picture tonight, when I get back home, if you want to see it.