You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to sort fonts by family? Change size by dragging?

Hello, buddies!

I have quite a hard time managing and changing fonts in both AP and AD, but one of the features I miss the most is the possibility to filter all my fonts to their specific families: serif, slab serif, sans, script, decorative, etc. Is it possible to be done? If not, will it be implemented?

Also, is there any way of changing font size clicking 'n' dragging in the icon, like Photoshop? The only solution I've found so far to ease the size modification (as defined numbers aren't really a big help) is assigning the commands to increase and decrease to shortcuts, like Ctrl+Alt+>.

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

Also, is there any way of changing font size clicking 'n' dragging in the icon, like Photoshop?

I’m not on my Windows machine right now, so I can’t check, but I think you should find that you can change the font size by ‘scrubbing’ over the label for the size control.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m not on my Windows machine right now, so I can’t check, but I think you should find that you can change the font size by ‘scrubbing’ over the label for the size control.

Seems like I can't. I tried scrubbing everywhere. Could you check it later and return?

6 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I'm sure you can't filter by families. Coreldraw can now do this and on the few occasions when I use the software it is a nice feature. I hope other people put this in as a request.

It's wonderful to find specific fonts or check only a certain kind of type in the context.

54 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

I tried scrubbing everywhere. Could you check it later and return?

Checking just now, I've found that there's a simple reason why you can't scrub over the label for the font size control, either in the Character panel or on the Context toolbar: there is no such label! However, a simple workaround is to lock the aspect ratio in the Transform panel and then scrub over the W label or the H label.

I can confirm that there's only a dropdown list, not a pop-up slider, for the font size.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

However, a simple workaround is to lock the aspect ratio in the Transform panel and then scrub over the W label or the H label.

That's a good workaround, alfred. But it wouldn't help when the scrubbing is best needed. That is, scaling single words/letters individually. When I need to scale the whole text, I can simply click and drag the whole box around the text.

Is there any pop-up in mac version?

7 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

That's a good workaround, alfred. But it wouldn't help when the scrubbing is best needed. That is, scaling single words/letters individually.

Ah, yes, good point! The pop-up slider would be really handy in that scenario.

Alfred spacer.png

If Mac.

Open the signs-panel in AP.

Click the first/left HAMBURGER.

Now you can filter all fonts exactly you have done in the font-book app. Its much more powerful than AP just heart-favorites...

As you can see: i have a lot of categories... but you must open the signs-panel, unfortunately no way to show them in the normal font-chooser!

Maybe you can do the same on win with such a similar app? 

(Some of the entries will fontapp create and collect by itself - if the font has metadata... but its not really smart, better you categories by hand).

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-07 um 18.23.13.png

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

2 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

Is there any pop-up in mac version?

There is no pop-up slider in the context toolbar on the Mac version either.

However, if you are using a mouse or other pointing device with a scroll wheel function, you can position the pointer over a numeric field value & use the wheel to change the value. The default increment/decrement is 1 unit per wheel 'tick' but that can be increased to 10 units by holding down the Shift key & decreased to 1/10 unit by holding down the Alt/Option key. (The modifiers don't work everywhere but should in the context menu font size field.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

If Mac.

Open the signs-panel in AP.

Click the first/left HAMBURGER.

Now you can filter all fonts exactly you have done in the font-book app. Its much more powerful than AP just heart-favorites...

As you can see: i have a lot of categories... but you must open the signs-panel, unfortunately no way to show them in the normal font-chooser!

Maybe you can do the same on win with such a similar app? 

I'll take a look, Polygonius.

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

if you are using a mouse or other pointing device with a scroll wheel function

I thought it would be possible, but Wacom here all the way. :/

2 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

I thought it would be possible, but Wacom here all the way. :/

Well, there's Wacom and Wacom! Does you model have a touch ring?

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kheewz said:

I'll take a look, Polygonius.

AFAIK, that works only in conjunction with the Mac Font Book app. For me there are a few of the custom categories I made that do not show up in the Character panel, & at least one 'kind' category that crashes AD if selected. I reported that but others were not able to reproduce it, so it may be something unique to my system that causes it.

EDIT: What actually crashes my Affinity apps are two 'smart' collections based on these 'kind' property criteria:

668397140_kindopentype.jpg.015723019d9b9f9b875d2b56278f1d5c.jpg1648604465_kindtruetype.jpg.6c599f79cd84e28933913abc8018b1e3.jpg

Oddly enough, the second (TrueType) one does not crash the Affinity Publisher beta.

Edited by R C-R
added more info

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Well, there's Wacom and Wacom! Does you model have a touch ring?

That's true. Mine is a simple one, with no ring.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, that works only in conjunction with the Mac Font Book app. For me there are a few of the custom categories I made that do not show up in the Character panel, & at least one 'kind' category that crashes AD if selected. I reported that but others were not able to reproduce it, so it may be something unique to my system that causes it.

AFAIK too.