You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Master not available

Hi I’ve just been following the tutorial for setting up pages on Publisher Beta. The Apply Master button does not seem to be available. Right clicking on the selected pages selects an individual page rather than pull up the menu for to Apply Master. I can’t see Apply Master in the main menu either.

Thanks for your help

UkeyD

1 minute ago, Bo Lovenhjelm said:

First you have to have at least one master page. Then right click on a page in the pages panel and popup menu will appear as seen in screen dump.

Skärmavbild 2018-09-04 kl. 11.51.10.png

Thanks Bo, I’ve worked out it’s with the mouse not with ctrl click. Thanks for speedy reply though! 

• Staff

Not sure why you are not seeing the context menu, but you can apply using drag drop too inside that panel if you want

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi phooph,
Seems the contextual menu is not working when using the trackpad + ⌃(ctrl) to invoke it or a mouse without the secondary-click enabled is macOS Preferences. It works correctly when using a mouse/trackpad with secondary (right)-click enabled (or dragging the master page over the spread as you noted). I'm checking if this is already logged and will do so in case it's not.

58 minutes ago, phooph said:

This also does not work for me. I get no contextual menu drop down using trackpad but have to drag the Master Page icon to the pages to be formatted, which works OK.

@phooph Check your System Preferences for Trackpad's Secondary Click, as shown below.  Once enabled, you should at least be able to use this, if not the ctrl-click.

If you've not been using this setting previously, trying it might feel awkward at first.  But familiarity will hopefully come with a bit of practice.  I use it all the time and don't think about it - it has long been natural to me.

2018-09-04_19-02-26.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

GaryLearnTech,
The issue is it doesn't recognise a ⌃(ctrl) click on pages and master page's icons in the Pages panel. Is it working for you?

@MEB I might have misread the previous comment, but I thought @phooph was saying that the right/secondary-click wasn't working either.  It's been a long time since I set up a fresh Mac out the box, but I have a vague memory that some of these Trackpad preferences are initially off and thought perhaps that could have explained phooph's problem as I understood it.

As it happens, the ctrl-click does seem to be partially working…  Screenshot #1 below shows the secondary/right-click with the Magic Trackpad (ie Apple's standalone trackpad).  This produces a grey boundary box around the outside of the space allocated to the page icon.  ctrl-click fails within this area.  However, move the pointer outside that boundary (eg screenshot #2) and ctrl-click functions the same as the right-click.

Similarly, on the blank page which corresponds to this thumbnail where you can see there's a single orange rectangle (which has been rotated to a jaunty angle to make me look "creative" ;-)) ctrl-click on the object fails, but kicks into life when you ctrl-click on the page's empty background.

So, not hugely useful, but not quite as black a problem as initially painted?  Hope this helps.

2b.png

1.png

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• Staff
22 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

@MEB I might have misread the previous comment, but I thought @phooph was saying that the right/secondary-click wasn't working either.  It's been a long time since I set up a fresh Mac out the box, but I have a vague memory that some of these Trackpad preferences are initially off and thought perhaps that could have explained phooph's problem as I understood it.

Yes, it could be a config issue. My apologies. Seems I misunderstood your reply.

22 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

As it happens, the ctrl-click does seem to be partially working…  Screenshot #1 below shows the secondary/right-click with the Magic Trackpad (ie Apple's standalone trackpad).  This produces a grey boundary box around the outside of the space allocated to the page icon.  ctrl-click fails within this area.  However, move the pointer outside that boundary (eg screenshot #2) and ctrl-click functions the same as the right-click.

Similarly, on the blank page which corresponds to this thumbnail where you can see there's a single orange rectangle (which has been rotated to a jaunty angle to make me look "creative" ;-)) ctrl-click on the object fails, but kicks into life when you ctrl-click on the page's empty background.

So, not hugely useful, but not quite as black a problem as initially painted?  Hope this helps.

I've reproduced this here. I had two pages in the pages section and was clicking between them - it doesn't work. If I click below them in the grey area I get the contextual menu. With only one page it works if you click on the right area outside the page icon as in your screenshots. So it's working partially as you said. Thanks for your support/feedback.

41 minutes ago, MEB said:

I'm getting slightly different results here using the trackpad of my Macbook. ⌃(ctrl) + click seems never work no matter where I click. I've also noted that the options for the secondary-click in the Preferences screenshot you posted above are slightly different than mine - I'm not sure if this is because I'm running Mojave Beta or the stand standalone trackpad differs from the trackpad on Apple's MacBooks. Will have to check this. Thank for your support/feedback.

For full clarity, I'm on an iMac running macOS 10.12.6, with the standalone first-generation Magic Trackpad.  I'm fairly sure I've got no additional trackpad modifiers that could account for the different settings we're seeing, so it could be, as you have suggested, an OS difference or perhaps a subtle hardware difference.

Hmm…  Actually, there's a wee bit more going on than first met the eye.  I think I've got it happening consistently, but it'll be easier to record a quick screen session than try to describe this in text alone.  Watch this space…

—— Gary ——

36 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi GaryLearnTech,
I already reproduced the issue here and updated my previous reply. Seems you have quoted my original reply and waited a little before actually replying.
Thanks.

Hi @MEB I might be wrong, but I think this short video adds a new element to this issue…

—— Gary ——

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.