You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo showing "RGB" Instead of "RAW"

Hello,

Just got back from shooting in RAW and when I uploaded my photo to edit, the data at the top of the window has "RGB" before the photo data instead of "RAW".  I am new to Affinity photo, however in the raw tutorials I have watched I have noticed their data shows RAW at the top.  If anyone could provide an explanation that would be much appreciated!

Graham.

What file type are you opening, what camera is the file from?

A screenshot would be good too

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

TIF is not a raw file type, and should have opened directly in the Photo Persona. It would not need the Develop Persona, though you could certainly switch into the Develop Persona to use the tools there if you wanted to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is possible that your camera can produce both TIF and raw files, and you copied the wrong one.

It is also possible that you copied a raw file, but there is something about it that made Affinity Photo think it was a TIF file. I have a vague memory of seeing something like that mentioned a few months ago.

If you can attach the original file from the SD card to a post here then someone will be able to tell.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Canon 200D is the same as most camera that shoot raw, it can produce a Jpeg as well but not a .TIFF: https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-200d/specifications/

If you open a RAW file in Photo it will open the RAW file up in Develop Persona as a RAW file, it will not open a RAW file as a .TIFF so the TIFF file must have been on the SD card to start with. 

Have you opened these files in another app prior to Affinity Photo?

Intriguingly I have just found a post about CR2 files: http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/ It mentions TIFF as part of the RAW file

The following sections are for technical people who want to understand the structure of a TIFF/CR2 file. Others may want to continue directly to Section 3.

Parts of the following sections are a tranlated from: Format d'images RAW by C. Rousseau. (French), with his authorization, of course.

2.3 TIFF and CR2 file header

Offset Length  Type  Description Value
0x0000  2  char  Byte order "II" or 0x4949 means Intel byte order (little endian)
"MM" or 0x4d4d means Motorola byte order (big endian) 
0x0002  1  short  TIFF magic word 0x002a
0x0004  1  long  TIFF offset 0x0000 0010
0x0008  1  short  CR2 magic word "CR" or 0x4352
0x000a  1  char  CR2 major version 2
0x000b  1  char  CR2 minor version 0
0x000c  1  long  RAW IFD offset  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The only way I know to produce the "RGB" label is to go into the Develop persona from the Photo persona.  If a RAW file has a .TIF extension it still opens in the Develop persona and is labeled "RAW".

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

17 hours ago, gvdesign said:

I imported into photo on my mac from SD card

Try this:
1. Insert the SD card into your Mac or an attached SD reader.
2. In Finder, navigate to one of your image files & select (highlight) it. Don't open it, just select it.
3. From the Finder File menu select "Get Info" (or use the keyboard shortcut ⌘I (command + i).
4. In the window that opens, locate the "Name & Extension" section & if necessary click on the triangle to show what it says there.
5. Note the extension shown for that file. It should be ".cr2."

If not, what extension does it show?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Could you upload a CR2 file?