You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance?

Just installed Beta2... performance is terrible, lag, etc.... iMac mid2010, 8Gb, 2.8Ghz... how should the preferences be set for best performance? Or is anything else to be done. Was better with the earlier beta, but not good.

• Staff

We're developing on 2011 iMacs with 8GB and the performance is pretty stellar, so this is a surprise.... :S   Can you give us a bit more info - do you have 21" or 27", any external screens, OS X version, any system 'enhancements' installed (screen related things that usually show up on the top menu bar on the right).

What is the performance like if you make a completely new admin user and just install Photo on it - is it the same? You can delete the user again afterwards, it's quick and simple :)

Thanks,

Matt

I have a 27" iMac, no external screen, latest OS X 10.10.2, no enhancements

and...

nothing special to the right (Captur for screen captures, Dropbox...)

Nothing extraordinary..., AFAIK.

I will try the new admin user in a moment and report back.

Cheers,

Sam

Interesting... I did as you suggested:

- removed the beta

- created a new admin user

- reinstalled it

And the new user had no such problems!

However, the old one still does! Especially when a selection is active and you want to create a mask... totally unusable, with horrendous cursor lag etc etc...

Tried to check with the Activity Monitor if any other processes were interfering, but could not discern anything unusual.

What could be wrong when a clean user works but an old one not?

Hmmm.... FIXED?...

I read in another post that by holding CTRL and ALT and restarting you can reset/clear a lot of stuff, caches etc.... I did, and it started behaving OK!

In other words, problems SOLVED??

Cheers,

Sam

What could be wrong when a clean user works but an old one not?

Just curious. Was your old user also an admin user?

I have the new beta installed on a MacBook Pro and I have not seen any difference in the performance between this beta and the previous one. I would think that an iMac would be faster than my MBP.

I read in another post that by holding CTRL and ALT and restarting you can reset/clear a lot of stuff, caches etc

Restarting the app? Or the computer?

• Staff

Now that's really, really weird - but I'm glad you're not experiencing the problem any more... It obviously has SOMETHING to do with a setting that was made, or studio tab that was made visible and there must be some huge performance issue in a certain case - one that would probably be easy to fix if we could figure out what it might be...

• Staff

I read in another post that by holding CTRL and ALT and restarting you can reset/clear a lot of stuff, caches etc

Restarting the app? Or the computer?

You can hold Ctrl+Option when clicking to start Affinity and it will bring up a panel allowing you to clear some/all settings back to default :)

• Staff

Hi Bitman,

If you select 'Use hardware OpenGL' and deselect 'Use only integrated GPU' then you'll be back at the defaults which are nearly always best. You only need to change them if you're having a problem OR you're on a laptop and worried about power consumption from your discrete GPU (if you have one).

It's also worth making sure that in the same preferences options you have View Quality set to 'Nearest Neighbour' for fastest performance on your Mac. This, again, should have been established as the default when your Mac first ran Affinity.

Thanks,

Matt

Unfortunately, I have applied the above suggestions, and continue to experience very slow rendering, even program crashing.

I am trying to do a composition, and when selecting a portion of a photo, I Copy, then go to a new document tab to paste it in, the former tab's image goes completely black. I have to click on tabs back and forth until the image is visible again. Also, when using the in painting brush, or similar healing brushes, the processing bar will lag giving me the spinning pinwheel, sometimes for as long as an hour. I have to force quit Affinity Photo (not responding) and restart the program.

I am working on:

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

OS X Lion 10.7.5

In God's Harmony

In God's Harmony

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two weeks, and no one has an answer or suggestion?

Also, I just finished editing a photo, looks really nice on the screen, but when I click on "Print", the print preview, as well, as the printed photo, looks like the original photo before any of my editing. All the colors look washed out as in the original photo. Yet, if i export the image as a TIFF or JPG, and open it in Mac OS X "Preview" app, it looks as it does in Affinity Photo when I edited it. I don't understand why this is happening.

In God's Harmony

• Staff

Hi roddy,

Sorry there has been no other responses here - I think the problem is that you are using a better spec Mac than we are developing on and we are not seeing any issues with performance at all, so it's a bit of a mystery and pretty much has to point to something being installed on your system that is making it unhappy - which will be a nightmare to find as a to-and-fro conversation :( But we will obviously try our best to help - but we have been unfortunately very busy trying to keep up with the forums at the same time as developing the application... :(

I know you said you've tried the suggestions on this thread - can I just confirm that you have tried making a new admin user and running the beta logged in as that user?

Your print issues sound like the normal issues you get with output to a non-light based media - i.e. you're mixing inks rather than light so things can only be so vibrant in the result. However, it's possible that this is not the case and that there is a problem. The easiest way to test this is simply to try printing the edited JPG that you made from Preview - if it looks vibrant like the version on the screen then there is a bug, if it looks dull then it is a limitation of the printer. Hope that makes sense? :)

Thanks,

Matt

I'm having some pretty heavy performance hits when I have pixels selected (ie. the ants are marching). Everything works very nicely otherwise, but when I select pixels, performance becomes so slow and choppy that it becomes considerably faster to go to another app to get the job done. Of course, I'd prefer to stay in AP :)

I'm on a late 2009 iMac (21.5", 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS 10.10.2. If I can provide any other info, let me know!

Hi roddy,

Sorry there has been no other responses here - I think the problem is that you are using a better spec Mac than we are developing on and we are not seeing any issues with performance at all, so it's a bit of a mystery and pretty much has to point to something being installed on your system that is making it unhappy - which will be a nightmare to find as a to-and-fro conversation :( But we will obviously try our best to help - but we have been unfortunately very busy trying to keep up with the forums at the same time as developing the application... :(

I know you said you've tried the suggestions on this thread - can I just confirm that you have tried making a new admin user and running the beta logged in as that user?

Your print issues sound like the normal issues you get with output to a non-light based media - i.e. you're mixing inks rather than light so things can only be so vibrant in the result. However, it's possible that this is not the case and that there is a problem. The easiest way to test this is simply to try printing the edited JPG that you made from Preview - if it looks vibrant like the version on the screen then there is a bug, if it looks dull then it is a limitation of the printer. Hope that makes sense? :)

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

I understand how busy you all are, and appreciate your response. I find it very strange that if my system has higher specs, that it would have poorer performance than a slower, less powerful system.

I created a new admin user, and the issue is the same. For example, when using the "Selection Brush", and dragging over a small section, it takes over 20 seconds before I see anything selected (marching ants). This is difficult because it doesn't show the brush stroke as I am dragging. Strange thing is, this did not happen in the first version of the beta release. The current installed version is: 1.1.2.23003

As to the print quality, I had done as you suggested of exporting as a JPG and TIFF and opening it in Preview. Within Preview, and the print-out from Preview, it looks exactly as it should with all of my edits.

So, it does seem that is a bug within Affinity Photo.

In God's Harmony

In God's Harmony

• Staff

Thanks for that, roddy - it's useful to know that the selection brush is one of the tools that causes slow performance. Can I ask what size of image you are working with?

The print issue sounds like it needs fixing - the print output should be just the same as that from exporting to an image and printing in Preview :( Is there any chance you could send the document to us at support@seriflabs.com so we can find out what is happening? :)

Thanks again for all your effort on this - I'm sure we can get things working properly when we get to the bottom of these issues! :)

Matt

Thanks for that, roddy - it's useful to know that the selection brush is one of the tools that causes slow performance. Can I ask what size of image you are working with?

The print issue sounds like it needs fixing - the print output should be just the same as that from exporting to an image and printing in Preview :( Is there any chance you could send the document to us at support@seriflabs.com so we can find out what is happening? :)

Thanks again for all your effort on this - I'm sure we can get things working properly when we get to the bottom of these issues! :)

Matt

I have experimented with two different resolutions of the same TIFF image: 600 dpi (4762 × 5862) 49.5 MB, and 1,200 dpi (9525 × 11725) 193.1 MB.

I'll gladly send you the image, please note it is a family member, therefore, I'd appreciate privacy and it not being posted anywhere.

Just got notice of a new update. Should I update or not?

In God's Harmony

In God's Harmony

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.