You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Lurker's Logo

Lon in MacArkansas

Long registered here, but one of my first few post. Finally downloaded the trial version, and I'm loving AD a whole lot...and, not the AD my ex-wife said I had, either. xD

I decided to just play, and start with a logo, using flat colors, until I get a better handle on gradients.  I'm a long-time user of Draw-Plus, but AD just makes things so much easier....so many more possibilities.

logo-mockup-checkbox-flat-final.jpg

Welcome (back), Lon! :)

I think the flat colours work quite well for this, so I'm not sure you really need gradients. I have to say, though, that if I didn't know it was 'Checkbox Designs' I would have thought it was just 'Box Designs'. Perhaps you could incorporate the check mark into the word 'Checkbox' (e.g. 'CH✓CKBOX', or some such).

I hope the above doesn't sound too negative. You've made a good start, and I'll be interested to see how your logo develops.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Lon!

Alfred "Crate Expectations" in Scotland :P

Alfred spacer.png

There is a small service charge for appropriating my signature style! 9_9

...as coincidence would have it, I just got off the phone with a Rotary representative right in the heart of what was once, long ago, the Orange growing capital of Southern California.  Perhaps he will become my first vict...er...client, who gets benefit of some of Designer's more astounding capabilities. There's a certain...er..a_peel to doing some art work for them that has that vintage look to it.

1 hour ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

There is a small service charge for appropriating my signature style! 9_9

Don't worry, Lon. I'm quite happy to waive the fee on this occasion!! ^_^

33 minutes ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

I know this must have been easy enough to do in DrawPlus, but I could just never quite get the hang of it.  It just seems easier and more natural in AD.  But, perhaps when the student is ready...the teacher arrives! 9_9

Yes, it should be pretty straightforward in DP. Having said that, you've done a very nice job of it (once again) in AD. :)

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

A killer ability in AD, is to be able to multi-select the nodes, and deform them as a group. That is almost always where DP and I parted ways. It was most frustrating.

You can multi-select nodes in DP, and move (but not rotate) them. This has been possible since at least DP7 from nearly fifteen years ago.

Are you saying you couldn't do it at all, or just that you could only do it with great difficulty? :/

Alfred spacer.png

Well, I'm sure that I tried it in DP, even recently...after seeing the possibility in the AD video, and I don't recall that I could make that happen. Operator error, no doubt...perhaps pulling on the incorrect node.  Was able to multi-select and drag the group of nodes on the first try in AD. 

18 minutes ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

STOP!! You'll make me decide not to purchase AD.

Oops! :o (I don’t actually believe for a minute that you meant this seriously, Lon. It’s quite clear that you know all too well what goodies you’d be missing if you made such a decision.)

Alfred spacer.png

You...er...node I didn't mean that!  Too much good stuff in AD, for certain. Besides, I have the workbook now. So, I'm committed (...or should be)

...although I went back to DPX8, and I certainly was doing something in error.  I can see now that I probably just selected something incorrectly, and got results that were not to my liking.

19 minutes ago, Lon in MacArkansas said:

You...er...node I didn't mean that!  Too much good stuff in AD, for certain. Besides, I have the workbook now. So, I'm committed (...or should be)

xD

Alfred spacer.png

I don't plan to abandon DPX8, however.  There are some very good tools in it...auto-trace being among them, and perspective settings.  I've been able to achieve some interesting and useful results in the past.  Cutout Studio (which is in the other Serif apps, of course) is probably the tool I use more often than any.  Different tools for different projects.  But, for some reason, the drawing part of it seems to just come more naturally in AD, than it did for me in DP. The many videos have been very helpful.  But, perhaps as I mentioned above, the student was simply more ready.  In any event, I've had about as much fun today, as I did when CraftArtist was released.  And, with a couple of new websites to do now, I plan to make good use of AD.