You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Where does that leave me and my problem?

Your screenshot shows a group, with the entire group (rather than some or all of its component layers/objects) selected. Try Cmd-clicking some of the layers, or simply ungroup the group before you select the individual objects.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, jackamus said:

Where does that leave me and my problem?

As @Alfred said, you are not selecting individual objects in the group. Try selecting some of them, similarly to what is shown in my second screen shot in this post above. The important points to remember are:

1. All the objects must either be in the same group or ungrouped (which makes them easier to select).

2. One of them must overlap at least one of the others for the divide operation to do anything useful, for example the green rectangle & some of the longer red ones in my example file.

3. As has been discussed, the Intersect operation is sensitive to the position in the layer stack (possibly a bug) so even though it requires some work to delete the unwanted objects, I prefer the divide operation for things like this.

Regarding screenshots, since you are using a Mac you can use the built-in commands for making screenshots, particularly the CMD+Shift+4 one for selecting just part of the screen:

1. Hold down the CMD & Shift keys & press the 4 key.

2. Position the crosshair that appears at a corner of what you want to capture & click & drag out to the opposite corner of what you want to include. (This is similar to making a marquee selection in Affinity.)

2a. Optionally, instead of dragging the crosshair, position the mouse pointer over a window (like your floating Layers panel), press the spacebar, & then click the mouse button to make a precisely trimmed screenshot of just that window.

3. When you release the mouse button, you should hear a shutter clicking sound & the screenshot png file will be created in the default location, which is the Desktop.

This makes it very easy to drag it into the section of the reply window marked with the paperclip symbol. Once there, you can click on the plus symbol in the black circle in that area to insert it in your post. Not only is it easy for you to do, it saves everyone else the effort of downloading what can be a very large Affinity file & opening it on their computer to see anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks RC that's quite shed-load full of instructions!

Using cmd + Shift and 3 is how I usually do a screen shot. Its the other bits that I didn't know about.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0