You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing with Aspect Ratio

24 minutes ago, Josie said:

How is this photo?

It’s slightly compressed vertically, but I only know that because I have the original to compare it with. It looks quite natural.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Josie said:

This is one of my friends images and he filled his canvas in affinity designer with the image, I want mine to look like this

No, he didn't "fill the canvas" with that image. The canvas is the brown area surrounding the image, just like the swirly version that @Alfred showed.

You cannot make a rectangular image fill a square space completely. You must have something (brown, swirly, or whatever) around the image, or you must crop the rectangular image so it is square, losing some of the existing image. Or, you must distort the image, as you've tried so far.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, Josie said:

This is what my friends photo looks like on Instagram and I want mine to look like as well, how do I do that?

I presume you’re not planning to buy a blue double-breasted jacket and grow a beard! :P

Please be more specific about your goal. Do you just want a blurred background, or is there more to it than that? :/

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Josie said:

This is what my friends photo looks like on Instagram and I want mine to look like as well, how do I do that?

1. Start with a photo that is square.
  2. Or, start with one that is a rectangle, and place it's over another image that is square. ( @Alfred's suggestion above).
  3. Or, start with one that is a rectangle but where you can crop it to a square without losing anything important, and crop it.
  4. Ask your friend exactly how he did it (but it was probably one of the above 3 methods, as there are no others that I know of).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, Josie said:

I want to know how to make my image fit to canvas so it covers the whole thing?

You use one of the three methods I mentioned. You do not just grab a corner or edge of the image and just stretch it, as you seem to be trying. 

Or, there is another method I didn't mention: reshoot the photo with a different aspect ratio, or including more background so you can crop some of it out and end up with a square like you want.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, Josie said:

My friend says he uses his computer and holds shift when he scales his photo. But I don’t have a computer I only have an iPad to use.

You don't need to hold Shift. 

1. Make a new document with the dimensions you want.
  2. From the Document menu in Designer, Place your image.
  3. With the Move Tool active, grab a corner node of your image and stretch it. It will automatically maintain its proper aspect ratio and will look proper, not stretched.

However, if you want a square result, this can only work if you start with a square image. 

Your friend used an image that was appropriate for getting a square result. Or he placed a rectangular image over a square background. Or he created additional background to a rectangular image, and then cropped to a square.

Your image cannot simply be stretched to fill a square without looking distorted. You will have to use one of the approaches that @Alfred or I have suggested.

-- Walt
PC:

The image that looks like this

Placeit-man-cropped.jpg.e860960cd93bf96a3622e5e881974e86.jpg

originally looked like this:

Placeit-man-uncropped.jpg.23a69683241b51800847b5aec9570089.jpg

As you can see, it’s simply been cropped (mostly at the bottom but also slightly at the top) so that instead of having a 2:3 aspect ratio it has a 1:1 aspect ratio.

Alfred spacer.png