You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Non-Destructive Boolean Add

Hi,

I'm going through the beginners tutorial. When I do a boolean add between two shapes, it's fine. When I press ALT and do it, one of the shapes goes away. Am I doing something wrong? See 20 second video, attached. In it, First, I do it destructive, then undo, then do non-destructive and problem happens.

Windows 10, Surface Book 2, 1.6.93 (Trial)

Cheers,

-billb

2017-12-28_9-07-03.mp4

If you are presing Alt + Click on Add Operation, at the same time that is, it should do the non-destructive Add.

NDBO.png

Best regards!

Hi, Thanks for replying:)

Just to double-check.

Are using Windows or Mac?

Did you misread my post? I did the Alt + Click on Add Operation and not working.

Did you watch the video? It is not a rectangle up top -- that works -- but a shape created using the Pen Tool Smart mode -- that fails.

It may be a bug? I can easily duplicate failure using pen tool smart mode shape plus tear drop. Can you?

Attached here as png or affinity file.

Thanks!

-billb

example.afdesign

example.png

• Staff

Hi hellobill,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to an issue with the Smart Nodes used to create the main shape. To work around this do the following:

- select the bigger shape

- change to the Node Tool and draw a marquee around all nodes to select them (you can also shift-clik on them individually to add/remove them to the selection)

- go to the context toolbar and click the Smooth icon (the second) in the Convert section to convert all selected nodes to Smooth Nodes

You should then be able to perform the boolean operation as described in the video.