Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi I am using Capture One for RAW, export either JPEG or TIFF and then further edit in Affinity (since yesterday - I am new to Affinity). However, when I edit perspective in Affinity to make verticals vertical :) , and then export as JPEG as 100% there is a significant loss of sharpness on the entire image. This happens regardless if TIFF or JPEG is edited.

 

Any ideas why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pietrach,

 

Welcome to the forums :)

 

Would it be possible for you to provide one of the files in question so I can look into this further for you?

 

Thanks

Callum


Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original JPEG as came out from Capture One. I am happy with sharpness here. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FeLg_oTQdbBSYoNui88vrN0FGZOjxRgL

 

Image edited in Affinity. Above photo was opened in Affinity, Perspective tool used to correct verticals (Planes: Single Plane; Mode: Destination) then Apply. Then Export to JPEG at 100%. nothing else. When you look at 100% at the detail on the tower, you will notice a clear difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lIu6E1Vwbdln8m2PeWPpgYhRfp98caY1

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pietrach said:

Above photo was opened in Affinity, Perspective tool used to correct verticals (Planes: Single Plane; Mode: Destination) then Apply. Then Export to JPEG at 100%. nothing else. When you look at 100% at the detail on the tower, you will notice a clear difference.

The loss of sharpness is due to using the Perspective Tool, which substantially increased the size of the tower. That required resampling the image to create pixels that were not there in the original image. Below is a comparison of part of the tower from each image, with the original on the left. You can clearly see that the tower is much larger than it originally was.

compared.png.5118425e3bf99796470c56ef9decc416.png


Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The loss of sharpness is due to using the Perspective Tool, which substantially increased the size of the tower. That required resampling the image to create pixels that were not there in the original image. Below is a comparison of part of the tower from each image, with the original on the left. You can clearly see that the tower is much larger than it originally was.

compared.png.5118425e3bf99796470c56ef9decc416.png

 

Thank you so much. i anticipated such answer. So there is nothing I can do about this. Do you know of any other methods of correcting the verticals without stretching the image and the pixels?

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pietrach,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This happens everytime there's the need to interpolate or remove pixels from an image - scaling/resizing it up/down also leads to a loss o quality. The only thing you can do here is try to compensate the loss of sharpeness with an Unsharp Mask or High Pass filter or similar/advanced sharpen techniques to get some of the detail back. Go to menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer and check the second section/group of filters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

 Do you know of any other methods of correcting the verticals without stretching the image and the pixels?

 

thanks

Rather than pulling the top corners out you could try pushing the bottom ones in.


AP user, running Win10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.