You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic Question About Exporting and Resizing For The Web

Hello. I have an image I want to export and use on a website. I need to reduce it to a certain size. In choosing the export option I am presented with the dialogue box as seen in the attached image file. 

Questions:

1. Which resample option is best?
  2. What does the Progressive check box do?

Sorry for the very basic question. I have little to no experience with image editing and do not know terminology or workflow options.

Thanks in advance.

post-3512-0-78090400-1423765959_thumb.png

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

• Staff

@Mediafuel,

1) Overall Lanczos is the best resampling option if you want to scale down your images since it's able to get a sharper result than Bicubic.

2) The progressive checkbox creates a jpeg that will render on screen ("fade in") while it's still being loaded by the browser. This helps to create the perception that the page is loading faster since the images are being immediately displayed as soon as the browser starts loading a webpage.

If this option is unchecked, the browser will render the image in blocks, one after another until it completes the image. 

Here's a demo displaying the differences between the two options.

NOTE: Apple Safari may have trouble displaying progressives jpeg's. If that's the case check the demo in Google Chrome.

Thank you MEB.  :)

Very helpful! Cheers

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

• 3 months later...

@Konspaul and MEB:  Yes I understand the basic Lanczos advantage but am at a loss re the separable / non-separable options.

PS:  The progressive JPEGs opened no problem for me in Safari.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Requesting to have a progressive -checkbox in the Affinity Photo export window. I see that the Export persona already have it. It is just that I very often export a JPG or what ever simply by pressing ⌘⌥⇧ + S.

In the current beta you can use the Export persona to switch on Progressive JPEG, save that as a new preset (by clicking on the hamburger menu in the top-right corner), and then use that preset from File > Export.

In the next beta you will be able to edit all the options from File > Export directly, by clicking a Details button.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.