You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong bullet characters in exported PDF

I inserted some bullets from the glyph browser but when I experted the document to PDF they were changed to another character ("Ã"). This looks like wrong encoding to me. However this does not happen when the bullet characters are pasted from a .docx, for example. To confirm, just export the attached file and open the resulting PDF.

bullets.pdf

bullets.afdesign

I opened your PDF in designer, Exported it as a PDF and opened it in Notro pro and it looks exactly the same as your file

Did I miss a step?

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, rubs said:

Oops, sorry -- I failed to upload the .afdesign file. Please open that instead.

THey seem to be ok here. I loaded your design file and exported it. THen loaded in Nitro pro and it all looks good

bullets GOOD.pdf

2017-12-04_15-30-19.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, rubs said:

Well, good, but just look at them with Acrobat Reader:

I don't have that installed but if it is in Acrobat and not in Nitro the problem may not be in designer. We are not there yet - let someone with acrobat test it and see what happens

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

8 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I don't have that installed but if it is in Acrobat and not in Nitro the problem may not be in designer. We are not there yet - let someone with acrobat test it and see what happens

Well, the exported PDF opens with the same errors in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but we definitely need confirmation from other users. Perhaps my Windows not being in English (pt-BR in my case) has something to do with the problem?

1 minute ago, rubs said:

Well, the exported PDF opens with the same errors in Chrome and Internet Explorer, but we definitely need confirmation from other users. Perhaps my Windows not being in English (pt-BR in my case) has something to do with the problem?

Perhaps but if you have WIndows 10 ... you have a virus 

LOL pound 3.gif

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I loaded your afdesign file and exported it.

It opens correctly in Nitro Pro 8, MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome, PDF Xchange Viewer, and Word.

The problem is probably on your side when you export it, as your "pdf" shows the wrong bullets on the right side. A different language maybe....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Good evening, rubs,

I downloaded your afdesign file and exported it in pdf format.

When opening with Acrobat Reader the bullets are displayed correctly but it is the l's that have a problem.

I'm with Windows 10, French version.

Rick G's GOOD bullets file displays normally, everything is correct.

The problem could come from Acrobat Reader since apparently it is the only one that displays errors.

Bullets.png

As I mentionned above, the PDF file created by rubs is not displayed corectly with any program that can open pdf files. So far, everybody that opens and export his .afdesign file does not see any problem.  it opens correctly with all progs.  So the problem has to be on his side when it is exported, a font or language, or ascii code problem of some sort.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I see the same thing in Acrobat with your PDF, Rubs.

RickG's PDF is using Arial. I also get proper output with Arial.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the bold version of Roboto you are using. What is bolded? The bullets on the text that export poorly/improperly. The header in the embedded version of Roboto Bold from your PDF is mangled. So something went wrong.

That said, if I use my version of Roboto, which is 2.137, regardless of the setting I use, the text is converted to curves even if that option is not checked. The font's permissions should allow it. It is exported as text from other applications, and apparently from your copy of AD. But not mine.

You nailed it, Mike! I updated the font to 2.137 (I was using 2.000980, from 2014) and, although Acrobat renders it in a completely differently manner, the wrong characters are gone. So that old version of Roboto is bugged and apparently AD has nothing to do with it. Thanks a lot for helping.

11 hours ago, reglico said:

When opening with Acrobat Reader the bullets are displayed correctly but it is the l's that have a problem.

This is an old quirk with Acrobat Reader and it's not AD's fault. Unchecking "enhance thin lines" from the Page Display tab in Preferences should fix it. I keep mine off at all times.

Here's a similar post.

14 minutes ago, rubs said:

I updated the font to 2.137 (I was using 2.000980, from 2014) and, although Acrobat renders it in a completely differently manner, the wrong characters are gone.

...this also means that I have to export again all documents that were exported while the old Roboto Bold was installed, otherwise they will display like this:

AcroRd32_2017-12-05_08-26-44.png

5 hours ago, rubs said:

...this also means that I have to export again all documents that were exported while the old Roboto Bold was installed, otherwise they will display like this...

The newer version has better hinting. But one also needs to remember, Roboto is first and foremost a screen font really designed for mobile/web use. I myself have never used it for print. I did once fix an even earlier copy for someone using ID years ago. It was all sorts of messed up.

There are a lot of free fonts where earlier versions of FontForge were used (cannot remember what was used for Roboto) where the issue with encoding was first and foremost FF's fault via generating bad Unicode values. Usually a PDF export from any application is just gonna encode what its given. Even in this case, I am uncertain all the fault is FF/Roboto's fault.

It's a bummer you have been bitten by this. Unless it is important to go back and fix 'em all, I would tend to hassle with it as the need arises.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

The newer version has better hinting. But one also needs to remember, Roboto is first and foremost a screen font really designed for mobile/web use. I myself have never used it for print. I did once fix an even earlier copy for someone using ID years ago. It was all sorts of messed up.

There are a lot of free fonts where earlier versions of FontForge were used (cannot remember what was used for Roboto) where the issue with encoding was first and foremost FF's fault via generating bad Unicode values. Usually a PDF export from any application is just gonna encode what its given. Even in this case, I am uncertain all the fault is FF/Roboto's fault.

It's a bummer you have been bitten by this. Unless it is important to go back and fix 'em all, I would tend to hassle with it as the need arises.

Good luck.

No problem here, these are just some PDF presentations. Nevertheless the problem is solved, so thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.