You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

When using the gradient tool, how can I create multiple gradients in a single layer? I can do this in PS simply by clicking and dragging multiple times. In Affinity Photo, it seems to limit me to one gradient per layer - a bit of a workflow nightmare! 

Also, is it possible to create gradient presets? It's very time-consuming to change the default colours constantly.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi Lee1,

Welcome to the forurms.

It's currently not possible to apply multiple gradients to a single pixel layer, it's been requested and may be in a future update. If you're adding a gradient on an object, such as a shape, you can right click the shape and select Create Style and a new entry will be created on the Styles panel to be re-used. Another option is on the Swatches panel, switch to Gradients and click the Add current fill to palette icon.

Some users have created gradient palettes for others to use and can be found in the Resources section of this forum.

Depends on what you want to do exactly, but you can stack some rectangles with separate Gradients on them to create some multi-gradient effects on a layer

grads.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I am a little unaware of adding gradients to photos as oppose to objects, but be aware that you can apply gradients to multiple masks within a layer.

You are looking to adding multiple gradients in one layer, and by default, creating a mask in Photo creates a mask above. So, go into the Assistant Manager, and change the second last option to create new masks as child layers.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. I just came to the forum to ask the same thing. Using multiple gradient strokes from transparent to colour in a painterly style on one layer to create shading or  backgrounds with variety is a nice feature of PS that I miss now that I had to give up my subscription.

43 minutes ago, AngieMA said:

Bump. I just came to the forum to ask the same thing. Using multiple gradient strokes from transparent to colour in a painterly style on one layer to create shading or  backgrounds with variety is a nice feature of PS that I miss now that I had to give up my subscription.

I never used PS much, and am a newbie to Photo. However, in AP, nest fill and/or mask layers inside the parent image, and add however many gradients and styles of gradients you like. I suspect the method may be a little more complex than PS, but it does allow some very fine tweakss.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet