dcarvalho84

Tips on Calendar template

11 posts in this topic

Do anyone have any tip i could use to build a let's say month calendar template where it would be easy to edit next year?

Let's say i have one month ready and the next year all i have to do is to use the tab key or delete key to move all one forward or one back, but i would like to do it by weeks. Example attached.

 

Thanks in advance

mes.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, many questions come to mind. If I understand you, you are interested in a separate file for each month, not a 12-month file, and your goal is to find an easy way to turn Janeiro 2017 into Janeiro 2018. Etc for February, etc for March, etc. And you want to have a separate color for Sunday dates. And I don't know whether you want to use AD or AP or the future APub.

 

My approach would be to create each month using a macro that can access the universal DATE function. This would get you past the Leap Year problem. And with this method you don't need to modify a month for next year - your macro just builds each new month for you.

 

I don't know how to get a date function with Affinity so I would use a spreadsheet then paste the results into AD or AP or the future APub. The spreadsheet columns could be set up with the Sunday colors and, hopefully, it will keep the colors when you paste. You can use Excel or try the free Open Source Libre Office (includes Calc as their spreadsheet) and avoid Microsoft.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

 

Or just find free calendars online using google and paste them into AD or AP or the future APub. This doesn't help with your specific question but it is an alternative. And, hopefully, maybe some AD/AP experts will post with better solutions.

dcarvalho84 likes this

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jer said:

Hmm, many questions come to mind. If I understand you, you are interested in a separate file for each month, not a 12-month file, and your goal is to find an easy way to turn Janeiro 2017 into Janeiro 2018. Etc for February, etc for March, etc. And you want to have a separate color for Sunday dates. And I don't know whether you want to use AD or AP or the future APub.

 

My approach would be to create each month using a macro that can access the universal DATE function. This would get you past the Leap Year problem. And with this method you don't need to modify a month for next year - your macro just builds each new month for you.

 

I don't know how to get a date function with Affinity so I would use a spreadsheet then paste the results into AD or AP or the future APub. The spreadsheet columns could be set up with the Sunday colors and, hopefully, it will keep the colors when you paste. You can use Excel or try the free Open Source Libre Office (includes Calc as their spreadsheet) and avoid Microsoft.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

 

Or just find free calendars online using google and paste them into AD or AP or the future APub. This doesn't help with your specific question but it is an alternative. And, hopefully, maybe some AD/AP experts will post with better solutions.

Thanks @jer but i think i've a little closer for what i want, i'm using the frame text tool and the TAB stops, but i've realized that i need to give one tab before the number 1, not a big deal but it's strange. I can't start at the left of the frame... I'll share the file. I will use AD for now, and with this file i can do all months, then when needed i will convert it to curves and style it.

month.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tabs won't help with leap years without manual intervention. That may be fine for your needs.

 

I do calendars of a few different sorts for companies each year. I use Excel, a few different calendar templates I have tweaked for style, output as a pdf and use a merge in a layout application to generate to first version. Each successive year it just means I need to update the pdf and it is done. The first time takes minutes after the calendar is formatted and a couple seconds thereafter. 

 

Just seems that is one good usage of a spreadsheet. 


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MikeW, with that file i can manually, with another tab, move all days forward or with delete move all days back.

But for better styling i think i would then need to convert them to curves, sunday days with different color, holydays, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for calendar templates, I've always found it easiest to just make 7 all with 31 days. The 1 starts on a different day of the week. Then you just change out the name of the month and delete any extra days at the bottom for the months with less than 31 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SigsCreations said:

for calendar templates, I've always found it easiest to just make 7 all with 31 days. The 1 starts on a different day of the week. Then you just change out the name of the month and delete any extra days at the bottom for the months with less than 31 days.

Well, then give it a try to my file. You will like it ;) You just need to do a tab to move 1 forward or delete the space if you want to move it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This is not intended as a practical solution, only as a design exercise that someone might find interesting.

 

Before there were personal computers, there were crude "perpetual calendars" that consisted of a sliding plate with day numbers printed on it in a frame with a cutout sized to reveal seven of the plate's number columns. To change months, the plate was moved left or right to adjust the starting day of the month. There were no provisions for months shorter than 31 days; you had to remember which months had 30, 29, or 28 days.

 

To simulate that kind of device, I used a rectangle for the cutout in the frame, a text frame layer clipped to it for the sliding plate, & the lock children option so the frame text would slide properly. I also made four versions for 31, 30, 29, & 28 day months, & added a rectangle to lighten Sunday days:

calendar.png.938573fe87999a5d8a5dfb3abbf19e84.png

This works OK as long as the day frame text uses a monospaced font like Courier, Monaco, or Menlo; otherwise the character spacing must be adjusted for each day number for the columns to line up. Tabs might work for that but I did not try that.

 

I think this could be simplified further to one artboard with all four frame text layers as children of the frame rectangle, or with guide lines so the text frame could be snapped to align columns more easily, but the attached calendar.afdesign file is as far as I got.

dcarvalho84 likes this

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R C-R said:

Note: This is not intended as a practical solution, only as a design exercise that someone might find interesting.

 

Before there were personal computers, there were crude "perpetual calendars" that consisted of a sliding plate with day numbers printed on it in a frame with a cutout sized to reveal seven of the plate's number columns. To change months, the plate was moved left or right to adjust the starting day of the month. There were no provisions for months shorter than 31 days; you had to remember which months had 30, 29, or 28 days.

 

To simulate that kind of device, I used a rectangle for the cutout in the frame, a text frame layer clipped to it for the sliding plate, & the lock children option so the frame text would slide properly. I also made four versions for 31, 30, 29, & 28 day months, & added a rectangle to lighten Sunday days:

calendar.png.938573fe87999a5d8a5dfb3abbf19e84.png

This works OK as long as the day frame text uses a monospaced font like Courier, Monaco, or Menlo; otherwise the character spacing must be adjusted for each day number for the columns to line up. Tabs might work for that but I did not try that.

 

I think this could be simplified further to one artboard with all four frame text layers as children of the frame rectangle, or with guide lines so the text frame could be snapped to align columns more easily, but the attached calendar.afdesign file is as far as I got.

Nice idea. With this file you have almost the same result, you just need to give it a tab to move the day 1 upfront or delete to move it back. I've created 2 text styles, 1 Weekdays and 1 Numbers. Here you can change the font to your liking and they will be all well centered because it's configured in the tabs space. Have a look.

month.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Creating the Numbers text style with the tab stops built into it is a nice touch, but it is too bad there is no way (that I know of) to create a style with tab stops set relative to the frame width (like at 10%,  20%, & so on) that change their linear position (in mm, inches, or whatever) when the frame width changes. Of course, one can always use the extra handle below & to the right of the frame to scale the text along with the frame, & the tabs will scale along with the rest of the text, but the style would be more "portable" if relative tab stops were supported.

dcarvalho84 likes this

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Creating the Numbers text style with the tab stops built into it is a nice touch, but it is too bad there is no way (that I know of) to create a style with tab stops set relative to the frame width (like at 10%,  20%, & so on) that change their linear position (in mm, inches, or whatever) when the frame width changes. Of course, one can always use the extra handle below & to the right of the frame to scale the text along with the frame, & the tabs will scale along with the rest of the text, but the style would be more "portable" if relative tab stops were supported.

Thanks. My idea is to style it to my needs and then convert it to curves. That way i can have more control over size and maybe colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now