You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updated Pantone library not importing as spot colours

Hi

I'm new to Affinity Designer, I've come across from Illustrator and I really like it, like many though I'm have teething problems and my Pantone library is one of them.

When I import the latest Pantone library from Pantone Color Manager, I'm saving it as a .ase file but none of the swatches are being imported as a spot colour, well none of them have the spot icon on the swatch and they show the CMYK values?

What am doing wrong?

Thanks

Affinity apps natively support Pantone in the Swatches studio... no need to import anything. 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Actually, if you send me the .ase file you created from one of your swatches, I can see if there's some way we could load them as you intended? Anything you send to support@seriflabs.com will be used for the purpose of looking into this request and will be deleted again afterwards. Thanks!

Thanks Matt.

I'll send you the .ase files now. These would have been generated using the latest Pantone Colour Manager.

I tend to use the latest version as it matches the colour books I purchase from them.

Jarome,

I have attached the Pantone version 3 palettes for coated & uncoated. I have also sorted them alphabetically as it makes it easier for me to find the needed swatch. They also, like the V2 palettes un/coated ones as supplied by Serif are RGB defined. Which makes better sense than as CMYK. (Well, LAB would make better sense but...)

Serif uses CSV files for these spot color palettes. You can export from Pantone Manager as a simple listing and open in a text editor. Copy the appropriate palette from the Resources/Pantone folder found under your installation (Windows) or from wherever they are on a Mac (and this assumes the Mac also uses CSV files). Then replace the values and names in Excel or another spreadsheet application, alter the name to reflect the v3 in at the top of the spreadsheet, then save to the new name. Copy that into the same folder you copied the original from.

Mike

Pantone-V3.zip

If you need anymore palettes from PCM, let me know. There are other formats it can export that may be easier to parse as well. 

I don't think Pantone will be updating the core application in the future. They are still sending new and revised palettes for now though. It's a horribly written application. 

Excellent, well-done guys for all your help and I look forward to the next Beta.

I've also noticed that when you look at the document palette (in the large list view, easier to see) it shows the dot indicating a spot colour however, when you go through the Pantone list, the dots don't appear although you know it's a spot colour when you go to the colour menu, and it says it's a spot colour.

I'm sure it's an oversight but thought I'd let you know.

Well done and keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

I work with Pantones too and I had the same problem.

So, waiting for the new version now :)

Can we have the Pantone name too instead of the name of the file?

(And maybe just the Pantone, not necessary to have all the gradients used).

Capture d’écran 2017-08-30 à 14.35.18.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.