One can choose the unit default in AD when creating a new doc, but can this be done within an AD doc after it is created? I'm almost sure it's somewhere but it alludes me now. 

Don't know about Designer but in Photo you select the hand tool and Units appears on the context menu.

Probably the same?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, toltec said:

Don't know about Designer but in Photo you select the hand tool and Units appears on the context menu.

Probably the same?

It's a little Different in Designer :)

@Jim Monson With the Move tool selected, an option for Document Setup will appear on the Context menu.  Click this and you can then change the Units.  You can also access this via File>Document Setup

At least in the Mac version of Designer, selecting the hand tool ("View Tool" in Affinity speak) also displays a Units selector on the context toolbar. It is usually quicker to select that tool to change the unit type than to use the File > Document Setup for that, particularly if the default (?) "H" keyboard shortcut is in use.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1