You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I apologize if I have missed this info. Is there a way to create a new brush stroke that is actually a vector that I can then expand and further edit? I'm trying to create a brush stroke that has the appearance of a hand-drawn line with varying thicknesses. See attached example. I created this stroke by first drawing a relatively long bumpy line, then exporting as PNG with the white shape over black background. This is the instruction I found for creating "vector" brushes, but the stroke remains an image file and will not expand to become a vector shape. What am I missing?

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.41.44 PM.png

• Staff

Hi j.king,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently Affinity Designer doesn't support "pure" vector brushes and by this i mean brushes composed by vector objects rather than images.

What you have created is a raster based brush (the PNG image) that is being stretched along a vector path and as such cannot be expanded to vectors since it's just pixel data.

We do have plans to improve the vector brush engine to include/support true vector based brushes later.

Meanwhile you can use the Pressure graph on the stroke width popup in the context toolbar to create that type of effect keeping the stroke as a vector. It's not as natural as a brush (because it's symmetrical) but it can be expanded to a shape for further tweaking. See image below.

pressure_graph.png

I was afraid of that. My first clue should have been exporting as raster (PNG). Thanks for the info and the screenshot MEB! Very helpful to see how much tweaking can be done in the pressure graph. Looking forward to the vector brush engine improvements.

• 7 months later...