You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to strike the nodes precisely?

Hello people,

at first i have to offer an excuse because of my bad English. I hope it is god enough for you to understand my question right. Since days i try to do some polyart stuff. Quite simple actually and always the same steps. Beginning with one triangle i try to link another one to the first by using a node for one or more triangles connected to the original node. Thats all but it does not work. It is extremely difficult to auto catch the nodes (with activated magnetic mode). Even if i only work with the raster restriction. If i combine the triangles to one plane to check if there are still errors (nodes not exactely on the SAME position of each other). This is superstrange and stressfull.

Another disturbing thing. If i finally have a few correctly positioned triangles (after hours of work) and i copy and paste them to accelerate my work, there are errors in the copy but not in the original "mesh". Checked both, original and copy, by combining. Original becomes one plane with no errors, the copy have different of them. I attached some pictures of it. Left side the original and right side the copied on, before and after combining them)

Super frustrating especially because i really like affinity´s software and definitively want to change from ai. Perhaps some solution? :(

Greetings from Berlin 

post-53099-0-56059800-1490776707_thumb.jpeg

post-53099-0-09742800-1490776716_thumb.jpeg

• Staff

Hi cptnftr,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of a few issues with boolean operations (combine, add, subtract etc). We hope to fix and improve them as we move along. Meanwhile changing to the Node Tool and deleting the extras nodes may help in some situations.

Regarding placing (snapping) nodes over others (overlapping) we are also aware of a few limitations here. For instance creating/moving nodes and placing them over nodes of other shapes doesn't work (Pen and Node Tools) unless you have all the shapes involved selected. This is being looked at and hopefully will be improved in the next Betas.

I'd like to express my desire for the ability to snap to nodes as well.

thanks

-Justin

If the snap tool setting has "snap to object geometry" selected, dragging a node will snap to another node. May need to zoom in if there are lots of snapping points. Assuming you are drawing in polygon mode. It works in curve mode too, but the outlines will not match.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to create a low-poly/polygonal artwork with lots of triangles like cptnftr and I've enabled 'snap to object geometry' to try and allow my triangles to snap together on points and edges. I was creating my triangles and shapes using the pen tool. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work 100%. It snaps to the shape geometry, not just the nodes or edge points but also to the lines. The nice thing is that the shape changes to yellow when snapping but sometimes I've snapped it to the line instead of the intended point. 

After having snapped some shapes together and it seeming to be correct when I colour-filled the shapes (and removed any strokes), some thin white lines appeared in between. Even my zooming in several hundred percent to check if the nodes/points lined up, there still seemed to be a thin line showing through in between the shapes.

Anyone know of a better way to be able to easily and accurately snap to points and nodes with the pen tool directly? Or preferably just to nodes without snapping to the object outline or other areas. I can snap shapes together by selecting both objects and using the node tool to snap nodes together but that is after I've drawn the shapes. In another post on the forum a user mentioned getting around this by adding a tiny stroke around the shapes to remove the thin band showing through, but I'm thinking this would render the whole image less accurate with strokes and shapes overlapping.

After having snapped some shapes together and it seeming to be correct when I colour-filled the shapes (and removed any strokes), some thin white lines appeared in between. Even my zooming in several hundred percent to check if the nodes/points lined up, there still seemed to be a thin line showing through in between the shapes.

what you might be seeing is a known problem in the rendering method. Even w. perfect alignment, a thin line of underlying color shows no matter how far one zooms in. Evidently it has something to do w. the way the pixels at the edge of one shape are slightly antialiased w. the underlying color. A work around is to add a thin middle positioned stroke of the same color on the shape, which then extends a fraction of a pixel into the adjoining shape.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Just turn on precise clipping paths under affinity's general

Prefs

I've been trying to create a low-poly/polygonal artwork with lots of triangles like cptnftr and I've enabled 'snap to object geometry' to try and allow my triangles to snap together on points and edges. I was creating my triangles and shapes using the pen tool. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work 100%. It snaps to the shape geometry, not just the nodes or edge points but also to the lines. The nice thing is that the shape changes to yellow when snapping but sometimes I've snapped it to the line instead of the intended point.

Anyone know of a better way to be able to easily and accurately snap to points and nodes with the pen tool directly? Or preferably just to nodes without snapping to the object outline or other areas. I can snap shapes together by selecting both objects and using the node tool to snap nodes together but that is after I've drawn the shapes. In another post on the forum a user mentioned getting around this by adding a tiny stroke around the shapes to remove the thin band showing through, but I'm thinking this would render the whole image less accurate with strokes and shapes overlapping.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17