You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Combining panels for fewer clicks & repetition

Just a wild, crazy thought... why do paragraph and character have to be separate panels at all? Can't we have just one single, long panel with all text settings together. We could call it "Typography". If I'm editing text, I inevitably have both panels open at the same time anyway and it will remove some redundancy.

Here's what I'm thinking:

post-14828-0-68724100-1489759339_thumb.png

The same thing with colour and swatch panels. I also always have both of them open at the same time so they might as well be in the same panel like this...

post-14828-0-49848500-1489759366_thumb.png

(Note the pull down menu for choosing different swatch display styles – small icon, big icon, list view etc. Just a little idea thrown in for good measure)

Since your roadmap includes multiple fills and strokes, perhaps strokes & fills should also be crammed into 1 panel. I'm worried you're going to take Illustrator's approach to multiple fills & strokes... 

• 1 panel for stroke
  • 1 panel for fill
  • 1 panel to list them to define which you have selected.
  • and another panel for for effects, just for good measure?

Yeah, then there could be a panel to manage all the panels lmao

You joke... but think about it a bit – it might be a great way to expand & collapse panels. It would be a lot quicker than going through the menu each time.

Perhaps there need to be buttons to open/close panels in the top bar. It would be more useful than flipping and flopping.

Yes it just has to be implemented gracefully in the UI. Perhaps a Studio Panel pop-up on the Context / Tool or even Info bar area at the bottom of the windows in Docked mode. Also I think a keyboard equivalent for a Toggle All Studio Panels On/Off would be good as well...

You joke... but think about it a bit – it might be a great way to expand & collapse panels. It would be a lot quicker than going through the menu each time.

Perhaps there need to be buttons to open/close panels in the top bar. It would be more useful than flipping and flopping.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yup.

I understand that lockable panels might be patented by Adobe thereby blocking Affinity's ability to copy this feature, but Affinity has already implemented buttons to open/close panels. There are character and paragraph buttons in the context tool. Let's just get a few more like this to include colors, strokes, fills, layers etc.

post-14828-0-16804800-1490167976_thumb.png

I'm all for combining panels - having separate Paragraph and Character panels always seemed odd to me.

On the combined colour/swatches panel I would go as far as to suggest HSL, RGB and RGB Hex could appear on the same screen, with one set of sliders dynamically updating the other. This is because i might sometimes want to add, say, a bit of red to a colour, then lighten/darken it. This means switching between colour types. I appreciate that CMYK should remain separate though.

On the combined colour/swatches panel I would go as far as to suggest HSL, RGB and RGB Hex could appear on the same screen, with one set of sliders dynamically updating the other.

Since the "triangle within the circle rainbow" is a graphical representation of HSL. (Hue in the ring, Saturation and Lightness in the triangle) and I've included RGB sliders beneath it, I think I was reading your mind – 2 colour models represented at the same time. Perhaps a simple checkbox to "snap to web-safe" will add your HEX request?