You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

about text space vertically

Hi, Abel Xin.

The Align buttons work when two or more objects are selected. A block of text is considered a single object so those buttons won't have any effect when you select only a single text block.

Text blocks have their own extensive set of internal alignment/spacing options, accessible from the Paragraph & Character panels. When a text block is selected, the Context toolbar has buttons to open each of those panels, plus a few items (like Leading & the Align/Justify buttons) that appear in them for quick access.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

align my text space vertically

Welcome here, Abel Xin.

With Affinity Publisher, we’ll get this option.

Use separate text objects or

use “Align Vertically” after you converted your single text object to curves (, ungrouped that) and grouped the lines (if you don’t need to change the text).

The Align buttons work when two or more objects are selected. A block of text is considered a single object so those buttons won't have any effect when you select only a single text block.

Just to clarify, single objects can be aligned to the document (spread) so those buttons will have an effect if you want to do that for a single object.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It is so easy to adjust text vertically using leading so I cannot see why align would be needed.

Really easy in other apps, but in Affinity: How is the formula for this case (first and last text line should not change their positions), please?

Really easy in other apps, but in Affinity: How is the formula for this case (first and last text line should not change their positions), please?

Hi Oval,

It seems that the text has a white line, to align all the text keeping the first line and last in their place:

Place a guide under the last line of text. Then delete the empty line, the four lines end up with the same space between them.

In the "Character" tab of the studio, expand "Positioning and Transforming" and decrease the line spacing with "Replace baseline" to bring the last line of text to the guide.

post-37692-0-76341900-1487694516_thumb.png

A Demonstration that there is no quick (one click) solution in AD.

It's not fast, but in a single block of text, I do not see a solution in one click, but someone else may know one that I will be happy to learn.

It's not fast, but in a single block of text, I do not see a solution in one click, but someone else may know one that I will be happy to learn.

Use this, wait for Publisher, ask Fixx for his formula, …

… in other apps it is already just one click.

Yes, I was talking about simple adjustment of line height. Usually that is enough for setting the text right within a text frame.

I guess for some uses vertical align setting would be nice (for example in UI design where you can have duplicated button designs with varying amount of text lines, or in diagramming), but then I think it would be nice to have also insets, colour for text frame and its border...

In InDesign there is such setting which I seldom use.

Thanks Fixx for the precision. I agree with you for other fine settings, inserts and color, but I'm afraid that this kind of function is implemented in Publisher rather than in Designer ...

Welcome here, Abel Xin.

With Affinity Publisher, we’ll get this option.

Use separate text objects or

use “Align Vertically” after you converted your single text object to curves (, ungrouped that) and grouped the lines (if you don’t need to change the text).

thank you very much ,but my text objects are sepatated already,its not a frame text body

Hi, Abel Xin.

Text blocks have their own extensive set of internal alignment/spacing options, accessible from the Paragraph & Character panels. When a text block is selected, the Context toolbar has buttons to open each of those panels, plus a few items (like Leading & the Align/Justify buttons) that appear in them for quick access.

thank you very much,but my text objects are sperated, it's not a frame text body

post-52667-0-74647800-1487743446_thumb.png

thank you very much,but my text objects are sperated, it's not a frame text body

Hm, “sperated”? Sorry, we are no clairvoyants, but did you delete blank lines as suggested before? Probably you did not, so please try to align without blank lines.

HTH