Hofnaar

[AP] some thoughts about the crop tool

Some changes and new features will help

1. It would be useful to drag rectangles from scratch somewhere in the picture with the crop tool

2. If I make a selection with the selection tool, it would ne nice to find a point in the menu like
"crop to active selection"

3. I cannot use the arrow keys to change the position of the current crop before cropping

4. If i rotate the crop and get some transparent/ empty pixels in the corners, it would be nice when AP will have an option to automatically crop to a smaller crop ratio

5. If I hit ESCAPE key it should left the crop tool like I hit "cancel" with the mouse

2.  Until this feature is implemented, for now you can...

Select all layers in the Layers Tab

Make your selection

Edit > Copy

File > New from Clipboard

All layers, effects, adjustments appear to be preserved correctly in the new document but I have not tested it thoroughly

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Better use a shape to clip instead of the croptool

Straighten

Create a ruler guide to set the horizontal or vertical line you would the image to be straightened to

Rotate the image to this line/guide for the straightening

Clipping

Insert square/circle or any other quickshape

Drag the shape to the position where you want the crop to take place.

Now in the layerstab drag the shape into the image and it clips automatically.

You can drag the shape(when selected in layerstab) around to adjust its position.

If you're satisfied you can leave it at that for future adjustments.(so called non-destructive because it retains the full image)

or you could rasterize it to make it a new cropped image(destructive)

Hans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Drag the shape to the position where you want the crop to take place.

Now in the layerstab drag the shape into the image and it clips automatically.

Please note that cropping and clipping are not the same. If you drag a shape layer and drop it on the thumbnail of an image layer in the Layers panel then the image will be cropped to that shape, but if you drag the image layer so that it becomes nested inside the shape layer then the image will be clipped.

post-8358-0-75513200-1485163281_thumb.png

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

you could rasterize it to make it a new cropped image(destructive)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just showing a different approach with the same outcome and with more control and options like vignetting

and the non-destructive  part should be taken in account for further adjustments and keeping the image as is.

Simply copy/paste,rasterize will make it a cropped image and export as such.

Hans