You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, classart. :)

Inpainting is essentially smart cloning. If you aren't getting the result you want, try again after changing the brush size.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The inpainting brush takes everything that is around the brushed area and merges those sections in place of the unwanted area. That is why you are getting a clone effect.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Could you please provide an example of the image? Some times, depending on how complex, the inpainting isn't always accurate.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

That looks like a more complex example. If there was a repeated pattern behind you, then the inpainting brush would work more appropriately. In this case, it's trying to calculate an inbetween of several unoccurring shapes. Therefor, it is taking the white on the bottom of the frame, the black and white on the corner region, and the yellow on the wall, as a merger. Even though it's a longer workaround, you might be better off using the Clone Tool, unless someone thinks of something better. I'm sorry if that's not very helpful. If you were standing in front of the solid yellow wall and not the painting, the operation would work a lot better.

The problem here is - as bleduc already perfectly explained - is that AD has a hard time calculating the "wanted" background.

In this particular case it's even worse, as it's impossible for AD to get the information behind the person and that's pretty relevant (as it is a painting/art).

As you can see in my veeeeeery dirty and quick example it calculates a black area but the image hints more of a white area behind the person (but one can't even know for sure).

post-36675-0-75396100-1483522905_thumb.jpg

I had a go at it. This is just a quick work.

The inpainting brush isn't the right tool, I think.

What I did, was to make a selection of the upper right corner.

Used the move tool to slightly stretch it. Flipped it upside down and moved it over the man.

I made a selection of the part of the man outside the painting and used edit>fill inpaint.

Then I had to clone to even out the "ghost" of the man.
I also cloned inside the painting to get rid of the obvious edges.

I cropped it, so the black shadows in the bottom disappeared.
(I feel somehow like  Iv'e done something illegal.. and that the photo is more or less meaningless.)

post-14034-0-24844700-1483708575_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I am also having a hard time getting this right. I'm know it's not 100% perfect but I'm trying to remove this car and it's not working at all.

Your picture doesn't show.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Your picture doesn't show.

New user 'foxdavis' has only made one post so far. I think we need to make two or three posts before the file attachment feature becomes available.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I see that my pic won't show, but I will post some more since I am really liking this over photoshop.

Be sure to use the "more" button when you want to attach pictures in your posts. :) 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

As I understand what the Inpainting algorithm does, then it is asking the impossible to have it faithfully reproduce what is behind the man. The camera that took the original could only see on one plane, thus removing the man digitally would just show what is on the next layer down, or if there is no layer then it would show the canvas colour. In short this is not possible, one would have to re-shoot the painting without the figure.

Maybe magic has its limitations too.  ;)