You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing layers?

Hi guys

Enjoying learning how to use Affinity but can`t seem to get this layers thing right.

I`m just experimenting with a texture jpg which I want to overlay a scene and then use the `soft light` to make it transparent.

The scene is a tiff and the texture is a jpg. When I open both seperately they are both the same size but when I overlay and paste the texture one it defaults to a much smaller size.

Following the procedure in Digital Photo` magazine for a Photoshop setup I get similar to Affinity except when I click return the texture reduces to a smaller size

My procedure is

1- open the image I want

2- open the texture image I want, hit ctrl+A, then ctrl+C to copy the texture image into clipboard.

3- click on the image and then ctrl+V to paste the texture image over the top which is smaller than the main image.

4- select the perspective tool and drag the texture image to the same size as the main image underneath

5-select `apply` to the small Perspective window

it then defaults back to the smaller size again??

post-40592-0-51699200-1481987755_thumb.png

How can I keep the texture image the same size as the scenic image underneath please?.

This is what I`m after but the whole of image using the `soft light` option

post-40592-0-29633400-1481988289_thumb.png

thanks

Steve

Try opening the photo and then using 'File > Place...' to add the texture image. Using the 'Place' command makes it easy to position the image and drag it out to the correct size.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Not sure if it's a bug or not as I was following instructions for using Photoshop so unsure if the same steps would work with Affinity?. I did think it should stay that size after resizing with the perspective tool so maybe it is a bug?.

Steve

Hi Gasman

Just a couple of things to check

Are the image the same DPI? this is what usually results in an image being larger or smaller then expected

The next thing, instead of using the perspective tool to try and resize the image, use the move tool. You can grab the handles around the image and resize it as you wish. The perspective tool is more for perspective then resizing. Make sure to turn on snapping to get an exact match with the main image. Once sized you can lock the layer by clicking on the padlock so it does not accidentally move

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.