You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just some more practical wishes ...

I'd like to add some suggestions from a practical point of view:

1) The maximum size (1024) of the liquify brush is far to small when you work with full size resolution (e.g.) 6000px side length or more
2) With every new picture I open the setting for tools is reset to standard setting (which is often not what I want). So each time I start working on a new picture I again and again have to switch from repair to restauration brush. Very annoying.

3) Same with the clipping Mode. It keeps changing back to "unlimited" ... and each time I've got to reset it to "Original proportions" (since I work with a german version I'm not sure about the proper english naming.).

4) Export settings each time need to be set to my saved preferenc (Preset) since it always comes up with the standard setting) e.g.JPEG (highes quality)

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Adddition to 3)
While cropping in the "unlimited" mode it would be great, if you could temporarily disable this mode and switch to "original proportions" by simply holding the CMD (STRG) key ... and vice versa ...

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

the liquify brush size was also brought up recently here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24580-brush-size-larger-than-1024-pixels-in-liquify-persona/

the crop tool definitely needs some attention, also crop to opaque and being able to see the canvas when extending a crop after re-entering the non destructive crop tool. without that, the non destructive nature of that option is not much help.

the liquify brush size was also brought up recently here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24580-brush-size-larger-than-1024-pixels-in-liquify-persona/

the crop tool definitely needs some attention, also crop to opaque and being able to see the canvas when extending a crop after re-entering the non destructive crop tool. without that, the non destructive nature of that option is not much help.

Thanks, MBd, I wasn't aware the topic had been announced ... seeing that it was brought up, when there has not even been a beta windows version of AP available (beginning of Sept.) ... it seems like it never made it's way into the "required improvements" list of AP. Maybe it's helpful to adress it again ...

Affinity: I'm not sure what the crop overlay is called in the english version of AP - but the german translation is wrong. When selecting "Golden Ratio" (German "Goldener Schnitt") actually the  "Golden Spiral" is shown which relates to "Goldene Spirale" in the german language. When selecting "Goldener Schnitt" one would expect a different overlay.

Affinity: I'm not sure what the crop overlay is called in the english version of AP - but the german translation is wrong. When selecting "Golden Ratio" (German "Goldener Schnitt") actually the  "Golden Spiral" is shown which relates to "Goldene Spirale" in the german language. When selecting "Goldener Schnitt" one would expect a different overlay.

In the English version, the option is correctly listed as "Golden Spiral". As you say, Timo, for "Golden Ratio" (or "Golden Section") one would expect a different overlay.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In the English version, the option is correctly listed as "Golden Spiral". As you say, Timo, for "Golden Ratio" (or "Golden Section") one would expect a different overlay.

So it simply seems to be a translation error .. on the other hand I wouldn't mind having the "Golden Ratio" option available as overlay as well ...

While this topic still seems open I'd like to add some more suggestions:

1) Please open files/documents in 100% zoom size.

2) And if working environment is set to undocked windows please resize the containing window according the actual document size. This feature could be included in a window setting that always automatically adapts windows size to document size as long as it does not exceed the workspace of AP
3) Even though performance in painting (had a horrible lag on my computer - I mentioned that earlier) was improved in one of the last updates (thanks for that!) I'm still suffering from a bad lag when retouching with the repair and restauration brush. Repaired areas even with a small brush show up more than half a second later. The red marker to identify the area of retouching is not even seen because I'm working far ahead of what is showing in AP. I don't have this effect with any competitor product on my computer.

Cheers, Timo

Talking about workflow:

quite often when I'm editing parameters of filters, the common shortcuts don't work any more (typically the "x" for changing background and foreground colour. Same proble with STRG (I guess it's CMD on the english keyboard) + D for deselecting a selection. I need to click into the document or at some other strange places before the shortcuts do again what they are supposed to do ... This is quite annoying, prevents a smooth workflow ... and leaves this impression of "good intention but not done properly" ...

Same proble with STRG (I guess it's CMD on the english keyboard) + D for deselecting a selection. I need to click into the document or at some other strange places before the shortcuts do again what they are supposed to do ...

Cmd (Command) is a Mac thing: Strg (Steuerung) is Ctrl (Control) on an English Windows keyboard. I also have occasional problems with Ctrl+D in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png

Cmd (Command) is a Mac thing: Strg (Steuerung) is Ctrl (Control) on an English Windows keyboard. I also have occasional problems with Ctrl+D in Affinity Photo.

Sorry, my mistake, of course I meant CTRL ... it was late ;-)

Adding some more input:

1) Entries in a library can't be moved to the last entry within a folder nor moved into another folder (even though the drag & drop symbol is shown)

2) Would be nice to assign a Library entry to a keyboard shortcut.
3) I do struggle with the behaviour of open parameter windows. They are either part of an open document - or part of a global setting. But within AP they open and close as they like. Changing to another document closes them, but they don't open again, when you return to the document.This is all very inconsequent. I wish they had an "Cancel" and "OK" button. I like the "preview" feature, but want to decide and confirm wether a change of parameter is wanted or not. And once this decision is made there is absolutely no reason for the windo to stay open and occupy desk space any longer.

4) In general every active Window should be able to properly react on the ESC key (Close as in "Cancel") as well as the RETURN key (as in "OK") and after that close. These are basic Windows style guide issues.

Hope, that my input gets read by anyone :-)
Cheers, Timo

Talking about workflow:

quite often when I'm editing parameters of filters, the common shortcuts don't work any more (typically the "x" for changing background and foreground colour. Same proble with STRG (I guess it's CMD on the english keyboard) + D for deselecting a selection. I need to click into the document or at some other strange places before the shortcuts do again what they are supposed to do ... This is quite annoying, prevents a smooth workflow ... and leaves this impression of "good intention but not done properly" ...

Yes, this is a common mistake when developing software that document commands stop working, when focus is set to control bars outside of the document. Then the UI technology just walks up the controls hierarchy and does not find the command with that shortkey, because it sits parallel to the focused control bar inside the document window and not above of it. 

I'd like to add some suggestions from a practical point of view:

1) The maximum size (1024) of the liquify brush is far to small when you work with full size resolution (e.g.) 6000px side length or more

2) With every new picture I open the setting for tools is reset to standard setting (which is often not what I want). So each time I start working on a new picture I again and again have to switch from repair to restauration brush. Very annoying.

3) Same with the clipping Mode. It keeps changing back to "unlimited" ... and each time I've got to reset it to "Original proportions" (since I work with a german version I'm not sure about the proper english naming.).

4) Export settings each time need to be set to my saved preferenc (Preset) since it always comes up with the standard setting) e.g.JPEG (highes quality)

Cheers, Timo

Yes I am with you here. All user settings should be persisted as long as they are not constraint by the image. The "Original proportions" setting should be the default for croping. The photo's proportions of 3x2 or whatever are used almost all the time. "unlimited" is a special case which is often realized through an "unlocked" image button. The export dialog settings should be persisted also. The probability after exporting a JPEG is at least 90% that the next export will also be a JPEG with the same quality. And there is also a high probability that the export will go into the same directory. There should also be an automatical croping overlay visible after an image is rotated which does exclude the transparent areas. "Enter" should always OK a dialog, "Escape" should always cancel.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder wether these and many more significant usability issues I mentioned earlier (e.g. windows apperance, zoom, restauration) will be adressed by the development team ... Since the only comment of Alfred was on naming conventions I wonder if anything else was taken note of by the dev. team / prod. managers? Maybe usability for the daily working base has no priority? I know that you guys are very busy sorting out bugs but it would be helpful to get a general feedback how you intend to deal with theses sugestions/issues. Thx in advance.

Since the only comment of Alfred was on naming conventions I wonder if anything else was taken note of by the dev. team / prod. managers?

I also agreed that Ctrl+D doesn't work reliably. Like you, Timo, I'm only a user, not a Serif employee: I have no direct influence over the issues that Serif staff take note of, let alone which ones they choose to address.

Those of us who have contributed to this thread are not the only users who would like settings to be persistent. There have been many posts about this. The same applies to the maximum brush size for liquefying, cloning, etc.

Alfred spacer.png

I also agreed that Ctrl+D doesn't work reliably. Like you, Timo, I'm only a user, not a Serif employee: I have no direct influence over the issues that Serif staff take note of, let alone which ones they choose to address.

Those of us who have contributed to this thread are not the only users who would like settings to be persistent. There have been many posts about this. The same applies to the maximum brush size for liquefying, cloning, etc.

Sorry Alfred, based on the number of your posts I was assuming you were part of the serif team. Mea culpa ;-) ... I just wonder if many posts her get read by serif staff and there's just not the time to leave a note - or if efforts are wasted since input gets no acknowledgement ... I really would like to see AP stepping up to beeing a proper PS alternative but this obviously still takes significant changes and obviously time ... I'd be more than happy to provide some of the necessary input help serif getting it there ... but keeping ambition up needs a certain feedback, elsewise I can spend my time in far more useful tasks ...

And yes, I'm aware there have been many posts by many people concerning these issues (it's not my first one either), but hardly any feedback - so noone even knows wether the feedback landed on the official suggestion or even to-do list for AP.

Guys,

Given in many cases you list AP features that are not implemented in current betas (or Live) and given you do not know for sure if they are 1. Not there by design or 2. Not there in error I assume you should provide a list of clear and definitive requests (practical wishes) in the FEATURE REQUESTS forum?

I would then expect a Serif response re 1. or 2. above and some support from other users as to the request popularity...

Hope that helps, Paul

Sorry Alfred, based on the number of your posts I was assuming you were part of the serif team. Mea culpa ;-)

Not to worry, Timo. An easy mistake to make! :)

MBd and R C-R both have post counts which are greater than mine, but neither of them is part of the Serif team. You can spot Serif staff by the staff.png badge below their avatars; I think they also all have moderator status.

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.