You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing curves (pen tool) from PSD

Personally I am using a pen tool a LOT - mostly to draw a guide for selection (sometimes manual way is the cleanest of them all to select stuff). I am seriously thinking about replacing PS with AP however I have lot of PSD files with curves prepared already. I have noticed that loading PSD to Photo gives me just Pixel layers. Is there a way to import curve layers as well?
If not - could you please consider adding it?

• Staff

We do import curves from PSD files. All vector based content such as shapes and masks should be imported as curves - either as a shape, curves layer or curves mask. The only thing we don't yet support is arbitrary paths.

If you have a problem file, upload it and we will see what's going on.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Hi MartinsRibeiro,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no way to access the paths stored in the Paths panel in Phootshop. You have to convert it to a Shape layer or Vector Mask in Photoshop first to be able to bring it to Affinity.

To do it open Photoshop, select the path in the Paths tab, change to the Pen Tool, change the first dropdown in the context toolbar to Path and click on the Shape button on the right. This will create a new Shape Layer from the clipping path. Save the PSD file and open it in Affinity. You should now have the clipping path available as a shape in Affinity apps.

Understood. 

I suppose that if I don't have photoshop available I cannot retrieve the paths from the files. Am I correct?

I use this method (images with clipping paths) while sending images to cut out by other people. The images are sent back with a path.

Is there a recommended method to have the images clipped and be able to open the result in Affinity?

Macbook Pro // M2 16GB // Ventura 13.2.1 

• Staff

Hi MartinsRibeiro,

Yes, we don't import works paths from PSD's yet. There's already an improvement request filled for this (ability to import work paths from Photoshop's paths panel) but it may still take a little until it becomes available.

Is there a recommended method to have the images clipped and be able to open the result in Affinity?

Instead of creating just a working path, convert it to a Vector Mask in Photoshop. Using your file as a reference, go to the Paths panel select the path, change to the Pen Tool and click the Mask button in the context toolbar. This will attach the work path as a vector mask to the layer in Photoshop. Save the file and open it in Affinity Photo. You will have the same layer structure with the image layer and the vector mask attached/nested to it.