You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Convert to text frame" not available in Affinity Photo

I don't think so. Photoshop is a professional photo editing program, too, and you can make there from a selection a text path. Please look this video so you can see what I mean:

Text is also a shaping agent.

A second example:

PS. I'm just irritated. Is it not possible to link YouTube-Videos here? Ok - then in this way: In the first example the title is How to Create a Custom Text Box Shape in Photoshop, the second is

Typography Effect Photoshop tutorial.

Hi MEB,

ok, 3D is a completely different house number but I think that a selection which can be filled with text was possible already in earliest versions of photoshop. Ok there is no problem (so I can see so far) to open a picture in Affinity Designer to do that what I want but I think why not equal implement this function in Photo to save the way with Designer? By the way in Photoshop Elements at least it's possible to align text at a path.

Hi again,

ok, I give up. ;) And I'm aware of the possibility with the "Edit in..."-way which I tested out the last hour. There were any crashes but I know of course that Affinity Designer and Photo are in beta status and the error reports were sent to you.

PS. I'm just irritated. Is it not possible to link YouTube-Videos here? Ok - then in this way: In the first example the title is How to Create a Custom Text Box Shape in Photoshop, the second is

Typography Effect Photoshop tutorial.

This forum seems to have issues with embedded YouTube videos, but I could see the URLs in the quoted post when composing this reply. The first video is here and the second one is here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Not sure if I'm totally understanding Martin's post, but is this referring to getting text to follow a path?  If so, add another to the list who would like it in Photo...

I get that you can edit the document in Designer too, but that's not especially elegant...

The Adobe products have evolved as they have through experience of what a large user base wants to see I suspect.

Hi, Affinity Photo isn't Photoshop. We price our applications very competitively, so we don't see an issue with recommending to our customers that they by two pieces of software if they have a broad interest in different functionalities. 

I fully agree. However I do see an issue with recommending to customers that they switch between two pieces of software to use a function that would make sense to be integrated into both (and is integrated into competing products), just for licencing reasons.

That being said, I think DxO found a nice solution to this problem: They offer three pieces of software: OpticsPro (RAW developer), FilmPack (filters) and ViewPoint (perspective correction). All of those work as stand-alone applications, but when OpticsPro and any of the other two are installed on the same machine, their functionality gets seamlessly integrated into OpticsPro.

This would, IMHO, also be a nice solution for AP and AD, as it would improve the experience for users and also be a new selling point.

They also charge a lot more than $50 for their software.

Yes.  And no.  Elements isn't that much more and has these text editing effects.  And if you were to add the cost of both Designer and Photo there'll be nothing in it (except you get it in one place - albeit with ).

I partially understand the "Photo is for photo editing" argument, but then why have text additions at all?

This isn't meant to be a dig.  Constructive feedback on the way people evidently use these sort of apps.

There's much to love about Affinity Photo in my testing it out to date, but the lack of this feature will likely see me sticking with PSE (despite it not being as powerful for other items, and the interface being well behind).

Now I want to switch on again. The moderators argue on the whole that the alignment of a text to a self-constructed path is a design element and thus a case for the designer. Then it is also inconsistent that in Affinity photo forms such as star, gear wheel, cloud etc. are found. These are basically only design elements, too.

@Murph7355:

In Photoshop Elements it is only possible to align text to paths, but not within paths - apart from prefabricated forms.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.