You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjusting just one layer

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/27/2016 at 4:11 PM, Callum said:

To get the Adjustment to only effect one layer you need to nest it inside the layer you want it to effect. The below video shows the technique for this at 3:20 :)

Thanks

C

Brand new to Affinity Photo. Can you clarify step by step (as in 'simplify') how to adjust one layer without affecting all the layers. Thanks. Dave

12 hours ago, DaveS 71 said:

Brand new to Affinity Photo. Can you clarify step by step (as in 'simplify') how to adjust one layer without affecting all the layers. Thanks. Dave

You have to nest the Adjustment layer in the layer you wish to affect. Works for Adjustment layers and Filter Layers. When the Adjustment Layer is above other layers it will affect all the layers below.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you. I tumbled onto this 'solution' myself after an hour or so on the internet. One of the problems that I had with a forum answers was the use of the word 'nesting.' To understand this concept one needs to have an introduction to terminology and examples of how 'nesting' is achieved. Generally I find forums, all forums, is that it is (mis-) understood by those providing help that people like myself go to forums as novices without more in depth knowledge of procedures such as 'nesting.'

It would be nice if there was an Affinity Photo detailed manual with a detailed index. Affinity Photo Workbooks ... I want to be able to find the answer almost immediately and not have to think, 'now where did I see this issue in one of Affinity Photo's workbooks?'

2 hours ago, DaveS 71 said:

Generally I find forums, all forums, is that it is (mis-) understood by those providing help that people like myself go to forums as novices without more in depth knowledge of procedures such as 'nesting.'

If you look in the Help, and search for "nest" without the quotes, you'll get to the page about Layer Clipping which explains how it works. The Help is the detailed reference manual. Its Search is the index :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Dave.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 years later...

hi, im trying to add an adjustment layer to a single layer.

I have nested the adjustment layer within the layer I want adjusted however the nested adjustment is affecting every layer not just the layer its nested in. 

Any help with this would be really appreciated, thank you.

5 minutes ago, jim232323 said:

hi, im trying to add an adjustment layer to a single layer.

I have nested the adjustment layer within the layer I want adjusted however the nested adjustment is affecting every layer not just the layer its nested in. 

Any help with this would be really appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A screenshot that includes the Layers panel, showing the layer you want to affect and the nested adjustment, would be useful.

-- Walt
PC: