You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD in the background crash

Over the time of working with AD it happened that the program was in the background for some time. I mean to use other programs while AD is not closed.

Out of a sudden with no obvious cause AD crashed.

Did anyone else see this behaviour?

It is very hard to replicate what was the cause because my focus was to something completely different. But perhaps its possible to collect hints on what is going on :-)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks dominik

I've seen a couple of background crashes. As you say it's not an easy one to replicate to we'll keep our eyes out ofr it. Do you know roughly how long it was in the background before you noticed the crash?

Cheers

Thanks for looking into it.

It takes approximately half an hour of working with other programs without bringing AD into the foreground.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

There are two files from yesterday:

0423dfee-71e0-47f4-93fd-59bde08e12d8.dmp and 

ec82be18-802d-40ee-8155-c8be1abe25ca.dmp

Sorry for the question. How do I upload these files to the thread?

d.

• Staff

Hi dominik,

If you click "More Reply Options" towards the bottom of the reply area, at the bottom of the screen you will see an "Attach Files" option.

Alternatively you can upload to dropbox and give us the link :).

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

If you click "More Reply Options" towards the bottom of the reply area, at the bottom of the screen you will see an "Attach Files" option.

Jon,

thank you, I was blind :-)

Attached are the files.

d.

crashdump.zip

Jon,

thank you, I was blind :-)

Attached are the files.

d.

Thanks for these, I'm currently looking at them now trying to work out the problem. Do you happen to have the document that you had open at the time?

Do you happen to have the document that you had open at the time?

I am not quite sure which one it was because I am working on two projects at the moment.

It was most likely a rather complex one called "Besenbinderhof Logo 01-5" (dropboxlink 1, size is 47 MB)

Perhaps it was a more simple one called "Wunderkerze" (dropboxlink 2)

There is a chance that this file was open at the same time, too (dropboxlink 3). I just can't remember.

I hope this helps.

d.

I am not quite sure which one it was because I am working on two projects at the moment.

It was most likely a rather complex one called "Besenbinderhof Logo 01-5" (dropboxlink 1, size is 47 MB)

Perhaps it was a more simple one called "Wunderkerze" (dropboxlink 2)

There is a chance that this file was open at the same time, too (dropboxlink 3). I just can't remember.

I hope this helps.

d.

Thanks Dominik, I've got these files open now and I'll just leave Designer running in the background to see if I can reproduce it.

I've got these files open now and I'll just leave Designer running in the background to see if I can reproduce it.

I think that is a good idea. So I did the same :-)

So far none of these files or a combination of them made AD crash while in the background. I did a lot including fast zooming in Google maps and even rendering a video file.

There is one thing different to the day of the dump files. Today the weather is rather mild while the last couple of days it was rather hot. This may sound unrelated but I had situations when computer crashes occured due to high temperature.

I admit that those difficult occasions made the entire computer crash and not just one program, though.

I'm sorry that I cannot be of more help.

d.

I just kept AD in the background all day. Occasionally bringing it to front just to look up things. No edits were made.

Now, after 7 hours AD crashed again. While viewing some website.

See attached error message.

There was one more AD file open which is almost 200 MB of size. Too big for an attachment.

Would it make sense to send you this file via Dropbox?

d.

post-32410-0-50593800-1469553813_thumb.jpg

I forgot to include the crash report. See attached file.

d.

09ece555-6bbf-47c4-94a6-0603bf32ed9f.zip

I forgot to include the crash report. See attached file.

d.

Hi Dominik, I've looked at the crash report, and the crash is coming from:

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016\Active Virus Control\Avc3_00367_033\avcuf64.dll

So it looks like an anti-virus program is causing the crash. There isn't much we can do about this unfortunately, it will be a case of contacting Bitdefender and asking them about the crash.

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016\Active Virus Control\Avc3_00367_033\avcuf64.dll

So it looks like an anti-virus program is causing the crash. There isn't much we can do about this unfortunately, it will be a case of contacting Bitdefender and asking them about the crash.

Hi Mark,

at least this is a clear answer what was going on. I'll see how Bitdefender's support can handle this.

Many thanks.

d.

• 4 weeks later...

To bring this to an end.

I contacted Bitdefender support and they were responsive and helpful. After some back and forth I could provide them with enough information and the result was after about two weeks an update to the software that fixed the problem.

I now can have AD sitting in the background with no problems at all.

All in all it was a good experience with the other company and I want to thank you, too, for pointing me into the right direction.

d.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.