You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D Effect Dialog Truncated on Windows 8

Hi, the 3D Effect dialog is truncated on Windows 8. I suspect this is due to the terrible implementation of display scaling on this version of the Windows OS. I've even tried disabling display scaling for the AD executable to no effect.

See screenshot.

post-32347-0-40990900-1467738105_thumb.jpg

I'm testing this on an ASUS N550 laptop running Windows 8.1 with a GeForce GTX 850m. The screen size is non-standard but then are so are a lot of laptops. 

I think the best quick solution is for you guys to make all dialogs expandable i.e. the dialog can be dragged bigger by the user to reveal the full dialog. Other solutions I've seen are to make the entire interface scalable but I realise that's a big change.

I'm testing this on an ASUS N550 laptop running Windows 8.1 with a GeForce GTX 850m. The screen size is non-standard but then are so are a lot of laptops.

My Windows 8.1 laptop has a bog-standard screen size of 1366 by 768 pixels, and my display setting is the equally standard 'Smaller' (100%), but although I can see the row of 'Light source' controls in its entirety I can only see half of the Azimuth control (and the top edge of a circle which I presume to be an Angle dial).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks guys. Actually I just checked and my laptop's screen size is 1920 x 1080, so I was talking nonsense, it's not non-standard. Not sure why I thought otherwise, for some reason the screen doesn't look those proportions to me. Don't know if this helps or makes a difference, thought I should mention it though...

• Staff

my laptop's screen size is 1920 x 1080, so I was talking nonsense, it's not non-standard. Not sure why I thought otherwise, for some reason the screen doesn't look those proportions to me.

This is probably because you have your Windows Display scaling options set to something other than 100%. It might be worth investigating this and trying a setting which suits you more.

This is probably because you have your Windows Display scaling options set to something other than 100%. It might be worth investigating this and trying a setting which suits you more.

You were spot on Sean! This solved the issue! The only problem is that the UI system-wide is now microscopic, which is why I bumped it up to 150%

Unfortunately I can't work at 100% scaling though, I've tried, but even at 125%, which only slightly cuts off the 3D effect dialog, the rest of the OS text is so tiny I'd need a magnifying glass to see half the text. Applications that allow you to change font size, or like Adobe's somewhat cockeyed solution, are fine (sorta), but many other apps simply don't offer this option and are thus unusable. So I'm forced to go to 150%.

The problem is that on my laptop I have a 15 inch screen trying to run 1920 x 1080 resolution with fonts the same size as a 24 inch monitor. Crazy. Additionally, the moment you change res to anything lower (not that it's advisable), in AD you get the issue I detailed here.

Windows 8 has complicated matters by taking away much of the control we had over font size in Windows 7, very frustrating.

So definitely, we need to have dialogs that either have a grabber control (I think that's the term?) so the user can enlarge it, or a scrollbar that appears on any dialog when needed. I think the grabber might be better so there's no need to keep scrolling up and down.

Otherwise some dialogs will be inaccessible in scenarios like mine.

• Staff

@affiniDAW,

As I mentioned above, I've logged the issue with development for higher DPI screens. Something should be implemented or changed to prevent this being cut off. We've already done a few fixes like this so if you spot any more areas where this happens please let me know in a separate topic. 

Cheers.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.