You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Konspaul,

1. First enable snapping and adjust your snapping preferences if needed (in the Snapping Manager)

2. Make sure Show snapping candidates is checked. This will create a purple outline around the objects you will snap to.

3. Mouse over the object you want to align to for a few seconds. This will turn it in a snapping candidate to which you will be able to align your object.

4. Move your original object. It should now align to the object you defined as a snapping candidate.

Hello,

I am a new user of this software and like it.

I understand how to align objects by moving each one individually

But how could I align severals with refering another without this one moves ? In illustrator, I select all object to align, press Alt key and tell illustrator wich one will be the reference one and then clic the alignement button I want to.

With AD, all my objects are left aligned on the top left one or similary on the right of the most right one. That's not what I want !

Hope you will understand what I want to and give me the way...

Regards

Hi MEB,

Thank you for your answer... I can wait (I know there is a lot of work to do on several subjects) even if I hope this will not so long to be included (because it seem to me a relative simple functionality to develop).

With transform panel I use a workaround. I could give it here if needed for anyone else :

Select the object you want another to align with.

On transform palette, select the reference point you want (ex a left one if you want to align the objects on the left border with the reference one)

Copy X (or Y if you want to align vertically) position in clipboard

Select all objects you want to align

Align them as needed (for my previous example on left side)

then Let the objects selected and in transform panel, paste the clipboard in X (or Y as needed) value

and you've got it...

It's a little bit boring but it does the job :) !

Hope this helps

• Staff

I was referring on the canvas only (sorry for not being clear :( )

Currently it is possible to select locked objects on the layers panel. This is by design, because when you select them through the layers panel it's usually a deliberate action (you may want to adjust their position slightly without having to lock/unlock the objects every time), contrary to the canvas where you can accidentally drag them while working.

• Staff

It's not a question of being smart, it's more a question of having time to implement/improve features.

There's a long list of feature requests and improvements to full fill. Some were already on our roadmap, some are user suggestions but all need time to be worked on. We usually launch a new beta every week with improvements, bug fixes etc. Soon enough all those things will be ironed out.

• 1 month later...

so when I use the align tool it's aligning to the pasteboard/canvas (or somewhere way off of the canvas), ie it disappears. I'm just selection a few objects and whether i use center/top/etc it goes way off into the distance where I can't see where it went. I think this is a preference, but I can't seem to find where to to find this. Or is this just a bug and happening to me only?

• Staff

You can define if you want to align to selection bounds (the area occupied by the selected objects), the entire spread (the entire canvas area), or the margins (if defined in the document setup dialog). You can change this in the Alignment panel (Arrange icon in the top toolbar). Check the dropdown immediately below the alignment buttons.

Regarding the objects disappearing after performing the alignment, that seems a bug to me.

Can you post the file to be looked at?