You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grouping Bug

I believe, without trying to untangle the complex layer stack that I can’t fully see, it could be because they are not actually getting disabled.

What I think may be happening, when you group those layers, is that the effect of one or more of the layers is only being applied within the group and not to the layers below the group, which is expected behaviour.

For instance, if you have an Adjustment Layer which effects the layers below it, when you group that Adjustment Layer it will only effect the layers below it in the group rather than the layers below it in the rest of the document.

Or something like that.

No, I think that could be rubbish – I just did a little test and disproved it.
But I think I might be on the right track, just off to the side of the track walking in the gutter.

What’s in the “Eyes” layer? Can you show us an expanded layer stack?

Actually, I think I might have had it right the first time, well sort of.

If the Adjustment is in a group and there are no ‘proper’* layers below it in the group then the Adjustment will affect the layers below the group in the layer stack.

On the other hand, if the Adjustment is in a group and there are ‘proper’ layers below it in the group then the Adjustment will affect only the layers below it that are also inside the group.

See attached video for a quick demonstration.

I believe this is expected behaviour.

* By ‘proper’ layer I mean a layer which has its own content – e.g. Shape, Curve, Image, etc. – as opposed to a layer which only affects other layers – e.g. Adjustment, Live Filter, etc.

7 minutes ago, Return said:

Change the blendmode

...of which layer?

I tried changing the Blend Mode of each of the Group and Adjustment separately, and together, and that only changed how the effect of the Adjustment looked, not what the Adjustment affected.

9 minutes ago, Return said:

It seems you can open 2.5 beta files in release version 2.4,just tested and it does.

For now, at least. That should change at some point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Just now, walt.farrell said:

For now, at least. That should change at some point.

I know, from a previous post I think you made.
But I thought it was quicker this way to have Garry open the file instead of recreating it in 2.4.😜

3 hours ago, Return said:

Change the blendmode to anything but normal or passthrough and the adjustments will get through to the objects below the group.

That sounds like a bug.

19 hours ago, Return said:

Uploaded an afpub 2.5 beta file with my testing.

The image below is what I get when I open that document which shows that the Background layer is not affected by the Recolour Adjustment, because there are ‘proper’ layers inside the Group below the adjustment.

This just seems to be restating what I said earlier.

image.thumb.png.a9ea68a936be6f34587020c791be44ba.png

Garry try to make the fill/pixel or rectangle or the mask layer (rectangle) invisible in the stack and see what affects what.
As you can see there's only one raster image layer below the group that does get affected by the adjustments in the group.
I have set the blendmode of the group to contrast negate to make it stand out more.
If you set this to overlay or softlight it will show the recolor adjustment as it is.
I intentionally displaced the fill/pixel and rectangles to make it show the difference of the adjustment to these layers since they have different colors also.
This just to show what can be done.

I still don’t understand what you are trying to explain to me so I think I’ll leave this thread here for now.

I’ll leave it to the OP to ask further questions if what they have read so far doesn’t explain what’s happening in the original issue they raised.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me to understand but without further comments from the OP about what’s been said, other than saying that what you said sounds like a bug, I feel we’re just going down a rabbit hole that may not be relevant to the issue in hand.