You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I resize in an macro?

My Macro should do the following:

- flatten

- resize document

- convert format/ ICC profile

- duplicate

I recorded it successfully, all steps are working except the second step "resize document", simply do nothing. I have entered the new high of 2160 pixel.

Why is resize a problem? Or what I'm doing wrong? 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Generally the resize step will do something, but will do it in a way you won't like. It would distort any image you apply it to that does not have the same aspect ratio as the image you used when recording the macro. And that probably is not what you want.

The usual recommendation for resizing images using macros is to use Filters > Distort > Equations which will not have that problem.

You can find more on doing that in the Resources section of the forums: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=macro resize&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=11&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

If your macro is truly doing nothing, I'm not sure what might be going on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Aha, cannot change dimensions if resample is off so Plan B

Use the transform panel with the Lock aspect ratio chain clicked on
Type *2<enter> in the width box then Document/Unclip Canvas

Both approaches work here

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

I tried a few macros Walt mentioned in the link. But nothing worked. I have my macro overworked but without the option " maintain ratio " it will not work. So I gave up ....

This comes near but it was not possible to set to a pixel size only percent ...

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

22 minutes ago, j3rry said:

I have my macro overworked but without the option " maintain ratio " it will not work

I don't understand your meaning so I guessed

22 minutes ago, j3rry said:

So I gave up ....

I certainly understand that concerning macros

If you need to do this job on various different sized images that are to be resized to 2160 high then I would record the macro to
flatten
convert format/ ICC profile
duplicate

but use it in a New Batch Job where you can specify either height or width with the A box ticked

NewBatchJob.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

My goal was the to automate the workflow of this video from Robin Whalley 

But this was not possible with the On-board resources of AP

I watched the video but still don't understand what you need to achieve. The video discussed document resize, canvas resize, sharpening and allsorts
If you can state where you are starting from
are all images the same size, if so what size
source colour profile

and where you need to go
destination dimensions
destination colour profile
output for print or screen?

then maybe someone can help. Did you try my suggestion above using a New Batch Job, if so what problem did it cause? It may be useful if you export your macro from the macro panel and post it here.

image.png.2171f44d8b1821bd148f42c63213d579.png

Generally after a resize an image will need sharpening. If you use a New Batch Job to resize then you cannot apply a sharpening macro during that process, you will need a second New Batch Job on the resized images to apply final sharpening using a macro. For reasons best known to the programmers any macros applied to the images are run before the resizing

The images below were done two ways
 i) resize manually and apply a sharpening macro
ii) New Batch Job applying the same sharpening macro and resizing to the same size
Stacking these two outputs and using Difference Blend mode on the top shows that they are very different

Photo macros are pretty limited in what they can do and can be frustrating, they are not like Photoshop actions and usually imagemagick is a better solution

image.png.7b3144998ab0583d7d5cead0b0919224.png

On 4/23/2024 at 5:23 PM, j3rry said:

I tried a few macros Walt mentioned in the link. But nothing worked. I have my macro overworked but without the option " maintain ratio " it will not work. So I gave up ....

This comes near but it was not possible to set to a pixel size only percent ...

Could you clarify how you want your image resized? My macros work on absolute pixel sizes not percents. I could create a modified version if you tell me exactly what you want.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for your offer, I need a simple solution to resize a picture to a height of 2160 pixel, the width should be proportional changed. But I have used now PS. Affinity can provide extremely extensive and complicated functions, but in my opinion it fails when it comes to the basics and often simple things.