You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text / vector text and perspective? Affinity Photo

I'm using Affinity Photo. I want to add text to an object (shipping container) so it looks as if it has been painted onto the container. It is a relatively small text in a large photo, but I would like it to be razor sharp. When I make a text box (either artistic or frame) the text looks non-vector (pixel? meaning slightly grungie with artefacts). Is there any other way to do this, to get that text as sharp as possible? I don't have much experience with vector versus pixel. Ha. If any.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 1.07.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 1.15.31 PM.png

If you had Affinity Designer v2 it has vector warp, so applying a warp won't rasterise the text like it does when you apply a warp in Affinity Photo.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Aha! Thank you firstdefence, I do have Affinity Designer. Haven't used it yet. This sounds exactly like what I need! How do I get a 'vector warp' with the text? Is it two clicks, or do I need to go look for a tutorial?

You might be able to change the font in this afdesign file from within Affinity photo: Aureon.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hey firstdefence ... I'll check it out. I'm updating my Affinity Design at the moment. Very curious to see what afdesign is like. Getting nominally fluent with Affinity Publisher was a bit of a teeth grinder.

Will report back ...

Here is a preview...

image.png.d8d8352e4d0749717c8f5f1352b29c95.png

Select the node tool (A) and the warp layer to edit the vector warp. Select the Move tool (V) and the text layer to edit the font/typography.

3 hours ago, benged123 said:

I'm using Affinity Photo.
{...}
When I make a text box (either artistic or frame) the text looks non-vector (pixel? meaning slightly grungie with artefacts).

Note that Affinity Photo always displays the pixel representation of text. Affinity Designer gives you the option of using different viewing choices. But if you export your file in either app to a non-raster file format like SVG, the text will remain crisp with no antialiasing artifacts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Fantastic firstdefence! As soon as I upgrade I'll do what you suggest.

Quickie question. When one upgrades to V2 does one just pay the full price (about $100)? Or is there a 'special' upgrade price? It's not clear on the website. I sent in a support ticket ... but am ready to do this tonight.

RC-R, I'm working with others. Is there a format like PNG (et al) that would work easily with their 'MS Word' or 'Powerpoint'? Or could they pull an SVG file into their project and be able to use it? A non-raster format that would stay really crisp? I don't know much about graphic formats. I think for this project they are putting things together in Word and making a PDF for final output.

9 minutes ago, benged123 said:

Quickie question. When one upgrades to V2 does one just pay the full price (about $100)? Or is there a 'special' upgrade price? It's not clear on the website.

The ‘Purchase options’ page at https://affinity.serif.com/affinity-pricing includes an ‘Upgrade from V1’ link which takes you here for 25% off the regular price of the V2 Universal Licence:

https://affinity.serif.com/store/upgrade-offer

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hey Alfred,

I checked that page. But I already have the other two apps, so I don't need a 'universal license'. I think the Afdesign V2 is only $100 by itself. Which is terrific actually. I love owning an app. I hate subscriptions. But was just wondering if, somewhere obscure, there was a price for 'upgrading'. Ha. Actually, I think I'll just get it. I'm becoming a big fan of Affinity.

12 minutes ago, benged123 said:

I think the Afdesign V2 is only $100 by itself.

By itself, it is $70, at least in the U.S.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, benged123 said:

Hey Alfred,

I checked that page. But I already have the other two apps, so I don't need a 'universal license'. I think the Afdesign V2 is only $100 by itself. Which is terrific actually. I love owning an app. I hate subscriptions. But was just wondering if, somewhere obscure, there was a price for 'upgrading'. Ha. Actually, I think I'll just get it. I'm becoming a big fan of Affinity.

Bear in mind if you just upgrade Designer to V2, files saved in that format will not be openable in your other two V1 apps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.