You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save window is overlaped by tool palettes

The save window is overlapped by nearby tool palettes, and since this window can't be moved at all, I cannot access the buttons or see part of the window. The export window just before this one cleared the same tool palette no problem.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.15.26 PM.png

I've noticed this happens a fair bit as well. I'm running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it's frequent enough to be annoyingly memorable.

After a little more reflection, pressing TAB before saving or exporting isn't really a solution, as it's just yet another workaround that hides the entire interface. I have ZERO other applications that have this type of UI/UX problem. Any chance this can be logged as a bug to be addressed in a future update?

Shuffling panels around every time I need to save, and then having to shuffle them back (as it's the location where I want to use them) isn't a great user experience.

Edited by Bryan Rieger
Added reflection.

I'm using the latest Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1. Tab does fix it as a workaround yes, as it removes all the palettes from the screen beforehand. Might be useful to note that moving the layers palette to the other side of my screen (where I prefer it) also causes overlap problems with windows that open on the top left side - like the gradient tool window. I prefer my layers palette on the right side so it can have full screen height. Working with a lot of layers and sharing the screen height on the right side with many other palettes is very difficult, which is why I pulled the layers palette out of the cluster in the first place.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 8.25.07 AM.png

I noticed this too, several times (– I'm now on macOS 13.6.6, but it has a history back to macOS 12).

-> Even worse, sometimes a dialog (save or export – can't remember) comes right out of the layers panel! ...which forces the panel to slide to the side to have enough space around it... 

I think I have seen enough to use this occasion to kindly ask the dev team: Please reconsider all UI elements regarding the z-positions and also get rid of the "sliding out" save sheets and use proper dialog windows which you can move around.

As much as I love the Affinity Suite and its multiOS approach, the lack of love for the native Mac UI is frustrating at times.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

2 hours ago, OMD said:

Might be useful to note that moving the layers palette to the other side of my screen (where I prefer it) also causes overlap problems with windows that open on the top left side - like the gradient tool window.

It won't do this if you dock the Layers panel to the left of the UI rather than floating it......

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse