You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Back image black and white but make color white instead of gray

I have an old map that has some color on it.

image.png.80234fe7405927bdb83bbe8c1f7bf536.png

I need to convert this to a high contrast black and white image. I'm using a Black & White adjustment layer now and it works great for removing the red, orange and yellow exactly how I want to, but I can't get the same results for the green and blue.

image.thumb.png.7826448eff88bf63ae14f53405d0e01c.png

I've tried playing around with some different things, including trying to recolor the blue and green areas on the base layer to red or yellow with the color replacement brush, but still nothing. The sliders do help take some of the color away, but it's not enough and I don't seem to be able to go beyond 300%. Is there any other way I can do this? There is a lot of detail behind the color so I can't just paint white overtop.

I can share the original file if anyone wants, but it is big (1.2G).

try using an HSL adjustment to desaturate, then use a selective colour adjustment to target whites, neutrals, and blacks.

image.png.80234fe7405927bdb83bbe8c1f7bf536.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Scrub my suggestion.

I think I misunderstood your question.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

This seems to be very tricky. I tried on iPad live hue range mask, hsl, channels mixer etc. combined with blend modes likes add, not getting a good result or suitable workflow.

Will try again later on Mac.

Essentially you need to seperate the color correction into 3 parts, with some complex combined filter criteria (hue and luminosity) which is nothing easy to do in Affinity.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Best results:

1. highpass with 1px radius to eliminate colors almost completely
  2. curves to boost global contrast
  3. hsl to desaturate again
  4. exposure to boost light colors

IMG_1172.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

17 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Best results:

1. highpass with 1px radius to eliminate colors almost completely
  2. curves to boost global contrast
  3. hsl to desaturate again
  4. exposure to boost light colors

IMG_1172.png

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted. I played around with the settings and got a super high contrast look a higher high pass value (I used 8px), which is what I was going for. Now I just have to smooth it out some and I'm good. Thanks!

image.png.55742e349a3d0d9272dcd7e94b380342.png