You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Holding down shift whilst cropping in the Unconstrained mode constrains the current aspect ratio

Holding down  whilst cropping in the Unconstrained mode constrains the current aspect ratio - Cropping and straightening (affinity.help)

Holding down whilst cropping in the Unconstrained mode constrains the current aspect ratio does not work and holding shift results in a "random" shape. Is this on purpose, is it a bug, or is it just happening on my PC?

5 minutes ago, Rahora said:

Holding down whilst cropping in the Unconstrained mode constrains the current aspect ratio does not work and holding shift results in a "random" shape. Is this on purpose, is it a bug, or is it just happening on my PC?

What do you have specified in your Settings/Preferences under Tools, for "Move Tool Aspect Constrain"?

image.png.025e8d0974019d6752b3611fc7e74b89.png

The documentation is probably correct for the default (shown in my screenshot), but possibbly reversed if you have you have one of the others chosen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your response. I've tried all the "Move Tool Aspect Constrain" settings, but on Shift+Crop in Unconstrained mode and with the default aspect ratio of 3:2, it won't keep the aspect ratio. The only time shift+crop works in Unconstrained mode is if I set the default aspect ratio to square. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the function, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I thought this function would be the same as in PS.
I apologize for my English.

Even in this samples, the current aspect ratio is definitely not maintained.

I don't have a default aspect ratio of 3:2 when I start a Crop, but if I set that, and then switch to Unconstrained, Shift+Crop is Constrained for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm having the same problem as well. Holding down SHIFT doesn't keep the aspect ratio of the document. It just squishes the crop box for no reason. If I wanted the crop box to be squished, I would do this manually without holding SHIFT. What's the idea behind the current implementation and what purpose does it serve?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't have a default aspect ratio of 3:2 when I start a Crop, but if I set that, and then switch to Unconstrained, Shift+Crop is Constrained for me.

I'm sure your sample doesn't have the same ratio at the start and end either.  When you have the crop set to the smallest, it's more like 16:9 or 2:1.  Try cropping to an even smaller rectangle, that's when the inaccuracy is most visible.

Same here. Holding Shift while Crop is set to "Unconstrained" does not maintain aspect ratio as it did in a few previous versions. I also noticed that the hints in the task bar (or whatever it's called at the bottom of the screen) do not show that as a 'hint'. Perhaps they changed this recently. To maintain the aspect ratio, I have to select "Original Ratio" for the Mode. I'd like to see holding Shift maintain the aspect ratio, like it was before. 

I'm on a Mac using Ventura.

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

9 hours ago, Ldina said:

Same here. Holding Shift while Crop is set to "Unconstrained" does not maintain aspect ratio as it did in a few previous versions. I also noticed that the hints in the task bar (or whatever it's called at the bottom of the screen) do not show that as a 'hint'. Perhaps they changed this recently. To maintain the aspect ratio, I have to select "Original Ratio" for the Mode. I'd like to see holding Shift maintain the aspect ratio, like it was before. 

I'm on a Mac using Ventura.

Unfortunately, I have not noticed the correct functionality since the release of the version ((WIN) that is supposed to be able to do this. At first I thought it was working as it should, but unfortunately it was just because I was making smaller crops and it was overlooked here. Unfortunately, there was a problem when printing, because the aspect ratio did not fit.

@Rahora That may be true on my end as well, but I’m not sure. It’ seemed to be working, but the problem is quite noticeable when you scale very small. The aspect ratio is not preserved. So, it’s possible it never worked properly when holding down Shift. I’m on a Mac. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish