You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer2 - adding pages

I don't seem to be able to open the pages panel in order to modify the number of pages in a document.  I am currently using the trial version of Designer 2 and wondered if this is a restriction of trial version.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Designer does not have the Pages panel; that's a part of Publisher, and you need Publisher to create a document with Pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In Affinity Designer you can use artboards as a substitute of sorts for pages, but unlike in Affinity Publisher they will all be in displayed in one workspace window large enough to show them all. In Affinity Publisher, there is a Pages panel that shows a list of all the pages (& master pages) in files that have them, displayed one at a time in the workspace view.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I managed to solve my problem by using Publisher. 

When I serched for help on the subject using the Designer help menu it said to use the pages panel but it was not obvious that it did not apply to Designer so I was confused when I couldn't find the pages panel in Designer.

25 minutes ago, TrevorJohn said:

When I serched for help on the subject using the Designer help menu it said to use the pages panel but it was not obvious that it did not apply to Designer so I was confused when I couldn't find the pages panel in Designer.

It might help the documentation team (or other users also confused about this) if you could supply the URL of the Designer online help page that said that, or maybe a screenshot of the builtin help page showing that if that is where you found it.

As an aside, note that if an Affinity format document made in Affinity Publisher has multiple pages, you can open it in Affinity Designer & navigate page by page using the navigator bar (not the Navigation Studio panel) located at the bottom of the app window to the left of the Status bar. If the document only has one page, it will not appear.

This 2 pages.afpub example shows what I mean.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, TrevorJohn said:

When I serched for help on the subject using the Designer help menu it said to use the pages panel

I do not find any references to the pages panel in the built-in Designer help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I do not find any references to the pages panel in the built-in Designer help.

Same for me on my Mac, both for the builtin & online help. I think the OP must somehow have opened a Serif-supplied online(?) page for Affinity Publisher or possibly a third party 'how to' web page that did not make it clear that Affinity Designer does not have a Pages panel.

Affinity Photo