You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo causes drives in files app to disappear

I had mentioned this last week, but after more checking I can confirm that the files app loses the drives after using it in Photo 2.4 for iPad. iCloud, one drive, files on iPad stop showing up. I have to restart the iPad to get them back, but during shut down it can take two or three minutes before shutting off. It only happens when using Affinity Photo.

Thanks

IMG_0879.png

On 3/22/2024 at 5:00 PM, kdparnell said:

I can confirm that the files app loses the drives after using it in Photo 2.4 for iPad.

I'm not seeing that happen. Can you figure out what you were doing that seems to cause it?

Are they gone from the Files app or just from the Files dialog within Photo 2.4?

If you tap the ... icon to edit the sidebar, are they available in that edit dialog so you can select them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have same issue. I plug my SSD then I can work on a couple of files and after a while, the SSD or any other files or not accessible anymore. The … does not help as the file app on iPad is blocked. Files are  gone from the Files app  and from the Files dialog within Photo 2.4 It happens only with Affinity. If I work with Lightroom and switch to Affinity, this is straight forward, the app block and cannot do anything, have to try to restart the iPad. I write « try » because each time it rally block all the system. I work with Lightroom for years on the same iPad and never had this issue. As soon I download Affinity I have this bug. Please correct. Thanks

Edited by Lolothai

• Staff

Can you please confirm if you have used the Save or Save As option on the document in the Affinity Photo start screen as if this has not been done then the documents are stored within Affinity Photo only. 

It took a while to recreate the error, but after the third try it did it again. Once it happens, iCloud and OneDrive disappear from the list of drives when importing or exporting. It also does with the save as command. Trying to edit the side bar does not give the option to re-add those drive. Also the share button goes dark and the app hangs. I can force close it, but the drives won’t reappear until I restart the iPad, but the shutdown takes a couple of minutes to to go dark. 

IMG_0889.png

IMG_0888.png

IMG_0887.png

Does not changed for me

Open files with Lightroom in order to convert the file. Works great

close Lightroom.

Then open Afinnity:

no files anymore, have to restart the iPad. That’s really time consuming. 

IMG_6095.png

IMG_6094.png

11 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Hello, can anyone help us on this one please? If I can not use app, just reimburse me please. Thank you ! 

If you purchased within the last 14 days then you should be covered by Serif's refund policy, and could contact affinityreturns@serif.com and discuss it with them. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

While using Affinity Photo, my iPad locked up, couldnt even reboot, no buttons or clicks responding,  couldn’t even turn it off. I waited until the battery died and it started up normally and has been ever since, even though I still use it with Affinity Photo.

Well, I thought things were better, but the problem still occurs, although it takes longer before it happens. My work around is to use the OneDrive app directly, even though it adds an extra step to the workflow. 

Just for giggles, I downloaded a copy of Affinity Photo 1, and used the files app to load some styles and brushes without issue. My work around with version 2 is to use the OneDrive app directly. It adds a step or two to the workflow, but with no problems. I’m convinced the problem is a combination of the files app and version 2. No other combinations cause a problem.