You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I paste images and create new files in publisher's photo or designer mode, it automatically switches to publisher mode. How can I keep them in photo or designer mode?

A problem that has been bothering me for years is that when I paste images and create new files in publisher's photo or designer mode, it automatically switches to publisher mode. How can I keep them in photo or designer mode? It's very unfriendly, and I have to manually switch back every time.

Since you are using Publisher, when you create a new document you are creating a new Publisher document, which is possibly why the application switches back to the Publisher Persona, as a reminder of the type of document you are creating.

When I paste an image from the clipboard – via menu “Edit → Paste” – the application doesn’t change the Persona.

I’m not seeing a bug here.

• Staff

Is it possible for to upload a screen recording showing this issue as I have not been able to replicate this issue in Photo or Designer personas using copy and paste

On 3/25/2024 at 11:34 PM, DWright said:

Is it possible for to upload a screen recording showing this issue as I have not been able to replicate this issue in Photo or Designer personas using copy and paste

I uploaded a video where I created a new file in photo mode. In this case, I definitely want to edit it in photo, but it always switches to publisher. Not only does it create a new file, when I close the file in photo mode, it also switches to publisher. Also, why can't I create a new file through the clipboard in publisher mode? 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:06 AM, Discover Hawk said:

A problem that has been bothering me for years is that when I paste images and create new files in publisher's photo or designer mode, it automatically switches to publisher mode. How can I keep them in photo or designer mode? It's very unfriendly, and I have to manually switch back every time.

To be able to Paste an image in either the Designer or Photo Persona you need to have a document already created otherwise Paste is not available...

• With no document open, selecting New or New from Clipboard from the File Menu in both the Designer and Photo Persona switch back to the Publisher Persona
  • With a blank document open, selecting Paste from the Edit Menu will Paste the image in both the Designer and Photo Persona maintaining the selected Persona

Whether this is the correct behaviour I'm unsure but I suspect it is by design as @GarryP mentions above, you are effectively creating a new Publisher document even though I understand your logic, i.e., why isn't it possible to create a new Designer or Photo document using New and for the respective Persona to be maintained rather than having to switch back to the relevant Persona manually each time.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

On 3/27/2024 at 4:45 PM, Hangman said:

To be able to Paste an image in either the Designer or Photo Persona you need to have a document already created otherwise Paste is not available...

• With no document open, selecting New or New from Clipboard from the File Menu in both the Designer and Photo Persona switch back to the Publisher Persona
  • With a blank document open, selecting Paste from the Edit Menu will Paste the image in both the Designer and Photo Persona maintaining the selected Persona

Whether this is the correct behaviour I'm unsure but I suspect it is by design as @GarryP mentions above, you are effectively creating a new Publisher document even though I understand your logic, i.e., why isn't it possible to create a new Designer or Photo document using New and for the respective Persona to be maintained rather than having to switch back to the relevant Persona manually each time.

I understand what you mean, but your operation process is too cumbersome. Firstly, I hope to avoid opening Photoshop unless necessary, and only use PUBLISHER; Secondly, if I want to edit an image in PUBLISHER and do the same as you, I need to first create a file, select file size, place an image, and switch to Photos, which requires at least 4 steps. However, if I can directly paste an image in Photos mode to create a new file, then I only need to switch to Photos - paste to create a file, which only requires 2 steps. This operation saves at least half of the workload.

3 hours ago, Discover Hawk said:

However, if I can directly paste an image in Photos mode to create a new file, then I only need to switch to Photos

You cannot do that.

You could drag/drop, but not Paste.

The closest to Paste to get a new document within Publisher will be:

• switch to the Photo Persona
  • File > New from Clipboard
  • switch to the Photo Persona again

But really, if all you want to do is edit a photo, you are better opening the Photo application. You can do it with Publisher, but that is not an intended workflow as Publisher is intended for working on documents, not simple images. And if you do it in Publisher you also lose the additional functions that the full Photo application has.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You cannot do that.

You could drag/drop, but not Paste.

The closest to Paste to get a new document within Publisher will be:

• switch to the Photo Persona
  • File > New from Clipboard
  • switch to the Photo Persona again

But really, if all you want to do is edit a photo, you are better opening the Photo application. You can do it with Publisher, but that is not an intended workflow as Publisher is intended for working on documents, not simple images. And if you do it in Publisher you also lose the additional functions that the full Photo application has.

I think PUBLISHER's internal Photoshop mode already has all the functions except for plugins, exports, and development roles. Most of the time, there is no need to open Affinity Photo separately. I think this should also be the correct usage of Affinity's three in one workflow.

11 minutes ago, Discover Hawk said:

I think this should also be the correct usage of Affinity's three in one workflow.

Then you need to make a Feature Request. The way it's working is not a bug (in my opion, of course).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1