You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.3.1 cycles between tools even when "Use Shift key to cycle tool groups" is enabled

Hi,

There has been a bug for some time now that affects the "Use Shift key to cycle tool groups" option in Preferences > Tools. Even if this option is enabled, the first time I use a tool in a new Affinity Photo session, Photo cycles the tool when it shouldn't.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to Preferences > Tools and make sure that "Use Shift key to cycle tool groups" is enabled.
  2. Make the Inpainting Brush Tool the active tool.
  3. Close Affinity Photo.
  4. Start Affinity Photo again and open or create a new document.
  5. Press the "J" key on the keyboard to activate the Inpainting Brush Tool.
  6. The Inpainting Brush Tool will cycle and change to the Healing Brush Tool when it should have just made the Inpainting Brush Tool active.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

20 minutes ago, Alex_M said:

Photo cycles the tool when it shouldn't.

Of course it should cycle the tools if you have disabled using the shift key! Enable the shift key and the tools will only cycle when you press the shift key in conjunction with the letter key. If you have disabled the option to use the shift key, it will cycle the tools with just the letter key.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

54 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Of course it should cycle the tools if you have disabled using the shift key! Enable the shift key and the tools will only cycle when you press the shift key in conjunction with the letter key. If you have disabled the option to use the shift key, it will cycle the tools with just the letter key.

I meant to say enabled, not disabled. Thanks for pointing out. I've edited the thread title and my message. The bug still stands though. Even when this option is enabled, Photo cycles the tools, but only one time and one tool until Photo is closed and started again. If I'm not mistaken, Photo shouldn't cycle the tools when "Use Shift key to cycle tool groups" is enabled and no SHIFT key is pressed.

From the official help file:

•When enabled, cycling between tools is only possible with Shift modifier pressed.

I've not pressed the SHIFT key, yet Photo cycles the tool.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

Alex, turning off this option means that pressing T will cycle between the Frame Text, Art Text, and Table tools. Turning on this option means that pressing Shift+T will cycle between those tools while pressing T by itself will do nothing.

Perhaps you should turn this option on so that pressing J won't cycle unless you press Shift+J.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

9 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Alex, turning off this option means that pressing T will cycle between the Frame Text, Art Text, and Table tools. Turning on this option means that pressing Shift+T will cycle between those tools while pressing T by itself will do nothing.

Perhaps you should turn this option on so that pressing J won't cycle unless you press Shift+J.

Good luck

That's what I'm saying. I have tuned this option on and Photo still cycles the tools when I don't have the SHIFT key pressed.

Hello, Affinity team. Any input on this? :)

???

• Staff

Hi @Alex_M

The last used tool is not remembered between sessions. When Photo starts, the default tool is the View (Pan) tool. So when you select ‘J’ it will choose the first tool in that group. Which is the Healing Brush tool. 

I hope this helps :)

Cheers!

Chris 

Hi, @Chris J,

Thanks for chiming in! Interesting. If that's the case, why does starting a new session show the last used tool in the toolbar? For example, If I've used the Inpainting Brush Tool and restart Photo, the default tool in this category is still the Inpainting Brush Tool, not the Healing Brush Tool.

I think that the current behaviour is counter-intuitive. If I see the icon of a specific tool in the toolbar, I expect it to active when I use its shortcut, not revert to the topmost tool in that category, unless I deliberately use the SHIFT key. Would that not make more sense, and if not, why? It's highly confusing to see the tool's icon in the toolbar and using its shortcut activate another tool in that category. I don't see why the session being new should have anything to do with how this works.

Thanks! It would be greatly appreciated if the last tool used is saved between sessions AND activating them don't select the topmost tool in their respective categories. That would be ideal.