You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font has a macron character, but does not have the macron over any letters. Is there a way to combine them?

I'm typing in TW Cen MT in Affinity Publisher 2 on Windows, and I'd like to type the character a with a macron (ā), but the font doesn't include that character. However, it does include the macron as a separate character (¯). Is there any way I can combine a with ¯ by messing with the font settings? Alternatively, is there any way to add new glyphs to a font?

Use the Glyph browser (Window>text>) Find the character (for your font) with the macron and double click on it. It will appear where your cursor is.

Edited by KarinC

28 minutes ago, KarinC said:

Use the Glyph browser (Window>text>) Find the character (for your font) with the macron and double click on it. It will appear where your cursor is.

a with a macron (ā) is not available for that font, they only exist as independent glyphs...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

If the font doesn't have the character with the macron, sometimes you can type the standard character followed by a combining macron, U+0304, which might be available in the font. For TW Cen MT that doesn't help, either. You might need to choose a different font, or choose one that is close, and use that for the character instead.

1 hour ago, xiphumor said:

Alternatively, is there any way to add new glyphs to a font?

Yes, if you have a font-editing application you can physically add new characters/glyphs to the font. Whether you can do that legally would be a different question, and would depend on the license you own for the font. And then, if you do add it, whether it will work properly for a different user who doesn't have your modified font is still another question.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @xiphumor. :)

Try these steps:

1. Type the vowel first, followed by the macron. (It didn't seem to work the other way around when I tried it here.)

2. Place the cursor between the two characters and set the kerning value to a large negative number: -440 seems to work well for Tw Cen MT.

3. Place the cursor between the macron and the next character and set a positive kerning value: I used +100‰ here.

TWCenMT_samsara.png.0efdb4055359b3bd81317a1b5a0e3900.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @xiphumor. :)

Try these steps:

1. Type the vowel first, followed by the macron. (It didn't seem to work the other way around when I tried it here.)

That's right, always put the letter first, then the combining diacritical mark.

Just a thought, I know that the character that looks something like a circumflex accent that is on the same keyboard key as a figure 6 on at least the English keyboard is not the combining circumflex. I am not immediately knowing whether there is or is not some character that might look like a combining macron but is not.

The reason I mention this is that I think that the "going rate" for these combining diacritical marks is that they have zero advance width in the font so that they "have a go" at producing a reasonable attempt at an accented character straight off, though unless it is a  monospaced font, then results can be variable, from good through reasonable to poor, though nevertheless conveying meaning. So the result that @Alfred got first seems strange to me if that is the combining macron.

There is a collection of Combining Diacritical Marks as they are called.

https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0300.pdf

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.